Where to buy medical books & ophthalmoscope in Shanghai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing my elective in Shanghai this Summer and I'm wondering where I could get medical books in English while I'm there. I also want to know whether it is worth buying an ophthalmoscope while I'm there as well as they are so expensive in the UK!

Members don't see this ad.

Vone said:
I'll be doing my elective in Shanghai this Summer and I'm wondering where I could get medical books in English while I'm there. I also want to know whether it is worth buying an ophthalmoscope while I'm there as well as they are so expensive in the UK!
you can buy everything you want in shanghai,so you only take a Mastercard,that's OK! welcome to China! :laugh:
what you want to buy is very cheap in shanghai.

Depends on why you want an o...*cough*..scope (its too risky to attempt to spell that word). From my research... (brand.. eg littman) stethoscopes cost just as much (if not more) in china compared to the west. I think its similar for oscopes. You can of course buy local brands if you are that way inclined for a lot less.

Books are awesome in China. I only have experience in Harbin. Shanghai should be way better. They are very cheap, only many are printed on poor quality paper. Who cares though, right? Good luck trying to find any non-american texts though (for some reason I felt you were UK).

Out of curiousity what are you doing for your elective? I wanted to do my elective in China as well but my chinese isn't good enough and I didn't want to stand in a corner for 3 months merely observing.

I got the same problem (want to buy books). Any hints, except for Fuzhou Lu? (I was already there and didn t really find anything)...