Where to complete prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I am beyond frustrated to the point that I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack this afternoon. Just that feeling that everything you worked for equated to nothing.

I'm 24, and I graduated college as a marketing major. Why I want to go into medicine is a long story, but I am 1000% certain this is what I want to do.

I found out that most med schools look down on completing your prereqs at a community colleges or online. I can't afford a post-bac or pathways program. I wanted to complete my prereqs online with American public university. They are an accredited institution, lab components are included with each class, and they aren't expensive! I already took Bio 1(B+) anatomy and physiology (A+) , genetics (C+) , and physics 1 (A+) ( all with lab) at a community college. I took those classes when I thought I wanted to go to PA school. PA seemed more practical since I wasn't a traditional student, but I didnt continue on that path because I thought I was short-changing myself. Now that I want to pursue medical school, I'm not sure how to get these prerequisites. It seems either way I am not going to look competitive.

We all know this is a huge financial, emotional, and physical investment. I don't want to make the wrong decision and become 1. Without a career 2. Broke 3. Wasted so much time

I want to stick to schools that are in the Philadelphia/ south jersey area because I am the caregiver of my grandparents (they raised me) and I can't go too far. However, I know Temple confirmed they don't accept online classes (even with lab) nor do they like community colleges. What is a girl to do?!?! I don't know which route to take given I'm so non traditional.

Other stats:
Emergency room volunteer: 200 hours
Shadowing hours: 80 hours
Student medical observer (this is a step above shadowing. I'm able to do basic height, weight, and blood pressure on patients): 700 hours
Glucose screening volunteer: 20 hours

Members don't see this ad.

1. see if you qualify for any financial assistance from AAMC (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/fap/)
  2. invest in MSAR (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/)
    this will tell you for sure which schools accept online/community college classes
Even if the schools "look down" on online/CC, you do not have control over that if you are constrained financially,
Instead, focus on the things you have control over:
  • GPA (bad grades from CC/online carry more negative weight)
  • MCAT (show that you did not just take CC/online classes to have an easier time, but you managed to study/prepare/test well)
  • Volunteer/shadow/etc.

1. see if you qualify for any financial assistance from AAMC (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/fap/)
  2. invest in MSAR (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/)
    this will tell you for sure which schools accept online/community college classes
Even if the schools "look down" on online/CC, you do not have control over that if you are constrained financially,
Instead, focus on the things you have control over:
  • GPA (bad grades from CC/online carry more negative weight)
  • MCAT (show that you did not just take CC/online classes to have an easier time, but you managed to study/prepare/test well)
  • Volunteer/shadow/etc.
Thanks for responding. Do you think it would be wiser to take classes at a community college or online? (Online was about $200 cheaper) but I don't want to look like I'm taking the easy way out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, look at the schools you want to go/apply via MSAR. Online classes might be cheaper now, but if you found out later that majority of your schools does not accept them, then it becomes wasted $. $25 for MSAR is much cheaper than wasted tuition & application fees later on.

Personally, I am taking classes at CC currently for several reasons:
  • I'm working full-time; the CC is much closer and works better with my work schedule
  • The nearest state school has HUGE class sizes for pre-reqs. Meanwhile, I can easily get 1:1 time with my CC professors
  • The nearest state school also requires jumping through a bunch of hoops to register for classes if I am not seeking a degree.

Thanks for responding. Do you think it would be wiser to take classes at a community college or online? (Online was about $200 cheaper) but I don't want to look like I'm taking the easy way out.

Hi everyone!
I wanted to complete my prereqs online with American public university. They are an accredited institution, lab components are included with each class, and they aren't expensive! I already took Bio 1(B+) anatomy and physiology (A+) , genetics (C+) , and physics 1 (A+) ( all with lab) at a community college. I took those classes when I thought I wanted to go to PA school. PA seemed more practical since I wasn't a traditional student, but I didnt continue on that path because I thought I was short-changing myself. Now that I want to pursue medical school, I'm not sure how to get these prerequisites. It seems either way I am not going to look competitive.

I am not qualified to answer anything premed, but I will tell you that APU is not accredited the way you think it is. The gold standard in the USA is regional accreditation, not national. So for example if you look at other online schools like Thomas Edison, Charter Oak, Excelsior, Western Governor's.. They each have the regional body that accredited them. The for profit schools like APU can't get regional so they try and sell you on the national.

Search on SDN, there are plenty of people here who did online prereqs at:
University of New England - they have a DO School also.
Colorado State
Oregon State
University of Berkeley extension

If you search around enough there is a thread that lists DO schools (and some MD Schools) and their stances on online prereqs. But be super sure - spend a week calling all the schools in your area and finding out what they're stance is. Check DO schools too, like PCOM, LECOM.

Good luck!

Community college courses are looked down on for students that are currently enrolled in college i.e. taking summer classes at CC to avoid taking them at their own institution. As a post-bac, things are a bit different as you have other considerations, which adcoms are aware of, such as cost, ability to work during the day/evening, families, etc. Taking classes and doing well in them is the number 1 priority. Pick a place that will enable you to do your best work and to learn the most from your classes. If CC classes are the best option based on the considerations above, do it, and then crush the MCAT. if a 4 year university is the best option based on the considerations above, do it, and then crush the MCAT.

Hi everyone!

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I am beyond frustrated to the point that I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack this afternoon. Just that feeling that everything you worked for equated to nothing.

I'm 24, and I graduated college as a marketing major. Why I want to go into medicine is a long story, but I am 1000% certain this is what I want to do.

I found out that most med schools look down on completing your prereqs at a community colleges or online. I can't afford a post-bac or pathways program. I wanted to complete my prereqs online with American public university. They are an accredited institution, lab components are included with each class, and they aren't expensive! I already took Bio 1(B+) anatomy and physiology (A+) , genetics (C+) , and physics 1 (A+) ( all with lab) at a community college. I took those classes when I thought I wanted to go to PA school. PA seemed more practical since I wasn't a traditional student, but I didnt continue on that path because I thought I was short-changing myself. Now that I want to pursue medical school, I'm not sure how to get these prerequisites. It seems either way I am not going to look competitive.

We all know this is a huge financial, emotional, and physical investment. I don't want to make the wrong decision and become 1. Without a career 2. Broke 3. Wasted so much time

I want to stick to schools that are in the Philadelphia/ south jersey area because I am the caregiver of my grandparents (they raised me) and I can't go too far. However, I know Temple confirmed they don't accept online classes (even with lab) nor do they like community colleges. What is a girl to do?!?! I don't know which route to take given I'm so non traditional.

Other stats:
Emergency room volunteer: 200 hours
Shadowing hours: 80 hours
Student medical observer (this is a step above shadowing. I'm able to do basic height, weight, and blood pressure on patients): 700 hours
Glucose screening volunteer: 20 hours

OP, I just wanted to give you a shout out to taking care of your grandparents. I'm in the exact same boat. Much love and empathy! I have mad respect for people who don't just shunt old folks off to nursing homes, and as an EMT, let me tell you, those places are depressing as hell to go to and I wish I got paid more to do so. You're racking up major karma points if you believe in the after life (and I might consider putting that you care for your geriatric relatives in some personal statement to medical school somewhere too, ijs).

Also, as to not being able to afford a post bac program - have you looked into taking classes at your state school? It's a kind of informal DIY post bac. I know most universities offer a monthly payment plan which while not ideal, may be doable if you have some kind of income.

Everyone's already given you great advice re: online programs and community college courses. At the end of the day, it's up to you, so choose wisely and do your research. Some schools seem to give more leeway to nontrads because we have more life responsibilities than newly minted college grads. Best of luck!

If you can get a job at any university/college - tuition reimbursement may pay for all your classes. I don't know the specifics, but it might be worth looking into.

Reactions: 1 user
You can do your prereqs at a CC if you've already graduated. I have friends who did all their prereqs at a CC; they were also career changers and already had a bachelors. Most of them were accepted to medical schools and are now in the middle of their medical educations.

I also did all my prereqs except for physics at a CC. No one ever asked me about it.

Second this advice. CC may not be advisable for a current student looking to "duck" their university education over the summer but for career changers it seems fine. I know of a couple students that ask for an explanation for CC courses but as long as your grades, test scores, and lor are fine, it doesn't seem to be negatively impacting others.

You can do your prereqs at a CC if you've already graduated. I have friends who did all their prereqs at a CC; they were also career changers and already had a bachelors. Most of them were accepted to medical schools and are now in the middle of their medical educations.

I also did all my prereqs except for physics at a CC. No one ever asked me about it.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, I just wanted to give you a shout out to taking care of your grandparents. I'm in the exact same boat. Much love and empathy! I have mad respect for people who don't just shunt old folks off to nursing homes, and as an EMT, let me tell you, those places are depressing as hell to go to and I wish I got paid more to do so. You're racking up major karma points if you believe in the after life (and I might consider putting that you care for your geriatric relatives in some personal statement to medical school somewhere too, ijs).

Also, as to not being able to afford a post bac program - have you looked into taking classes at your state school? It's a kind of informal DIY post bac. I know most universities offer a monthly payment plan which while not ideal, may be doable if you have some kind of income.

Everyone's already given you great advice re: online programs and community college courses. At the end of the day, it's up to you, so choose wisely and do your research. Some schools seem to give more leeway to nontrads because we have more life responsibilities than newly minted college grads. Best of luck!

If you can get a job at any university/college - tuition reimbursement may pay for all your classes. I don't know the specifics, but it might be worth looking into.

Thanks so much! I believe that though this life may not offer a physical reward, but I believe in the end I will be rewarded for all I have done for my family. Sadly, my grandmother succumbed to cancer my senior year of college and I used all the money I earned from internships to ship her body back to her native country (it's tradition). Now it's just me, my grandpa, and his sister. I am determined to take care of them until the end. I know that completing medical school would be like the icing on the cake. Not only can I provide for them medically, but hopefully financially as well :)