Where to do an away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any rules for selecting where I do an away rotation 4th year? Are there places that prioritize those that have rotated there, or ones that tend NOT to take students that have done so? I have "heard' that you should go to a place that you are likely to get a good letter-meaning not one of the "gunner" places where you will be compared to the elite. Any thoughts?
Thank you,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

I would rotate at a place you hope to match at. For example if you are an east coast person and want to go out west, it would be advisable to go and rotate out west. I think as long as you get a great LOR it doesnt matter, it would be better if it came from someone in the Residency program.

i think if you want a better answer tell us where you go to school and what geographic region you want to go to. I think going to the "gunner" programs can be real good since if you get a solid LOR they carry more weight but I think the weight of a great LOR from a PD is gonna go a long way no matter what.

EctopicFetus said:
I would rotate at a place you hope to match at. For example if you are an east coast person and want to go out west, it would be advisable to go and rotate out west. I think as long as you get a great LOR it doesnt matter, it would be better if it came from someone in the Residency program.

i think if you want a better answer tell us where you go to school and what geographic region you want to go to. I think going to the "gunner" programs can be real good since if you get a solid LOR they carry more weight but I think the weight of a great LOR from a PD is gonna go a long way no matter what.

I guess the problem is I don't really know where I want to go. I'd like good EMS exposure (ex-paramedic here with hopes of being a great med. director), and I want to go someplace where I'll see snow..I know that's a weird request, but I'm a southerner that has never been able to really have a winter (i'm in South Carolina). Having a good amount of outdoor activities/options is nice too. And I really don't want to be in a HUGE city (NYC, San Franfreako, etc.) Other than that, I find most programs about equal and I'd really have to figuere out where I "fit" via interviews, I suppose.
Is that some horrible criteria to have in deciding my future/career????
Thanks for any advice on picking an away rotation

streetdoc

oh, and I like mountains too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you're describing Denver. One of the only hospital-run EMS systems left in the country, tons of outdoor activities, snow (four-inches when I was there last week). Also a great place to do an away, from what I hear. They give a lot of freedom to MS4s and use them effectively in the ED.
My two cents....

streetdoc said:
I guess the problem is I don't really know where I want to go. I'd like good EMS exposure (ex-paramedic here with hopes of being a great med. director), and I want to go someplace where I'll see snow..I know that's a weird request, but I'm a southerner that has never been able to really have a winter (i'm in South Carolina). Having a good amount of outdoor activities/options is nice too. And I really don't want to be in a HUGE city (NYC, San Franfreako, etc.) Other than that, I find most programs about equal and I'd really have to figuere out where I "fit" via interviews, I suppose.
Is that some horrible criteria to have in deciding my future/career????
Thanks for any advice on picking an away rotation

streetdoc

oh, and I like mountains too :)

jigga_what said:
Sounds like you're describing Denver. One of the only hospital-run EMS systems left in the country, tons of outdoor activities, snow (four-inches when I was there last week). Also a great place to do an away, from what I hear. They give a lot of freedom to MS4s and use them effectively in the ED.
My two cents....

I'm not completely opposed to 4 yr programs, but aren't they big on research too? i have no interest in research...well, i don't think i do. Would it be worth rotating there in order to get a letter even if i'm not so interested in residency there?
thanks,
streetdoc

check out hennepin as well...get to do a ton as a student, and if you go before springtime they will definitely have snow! minneapolis is actually a really cool city...this coming from a cali girl ;) and you can likely get a great letter from a well respected program...pm me if you have specific questions!

jigga_what said:
My two cents....
Jigga,
I've actually been looking into Denver since you brought it up. Can you share your thoughts on the program since you visited? Thanks for the suggestion and for your insight!
streetdoc

Street, Denver is one of the most prominent programs in the country. So that should at least be a start for you to think about. If you get a LOR from the PD is it likely that all the other PDs in the US know who he is etc. Good luck!

EctopicFetus said:
Street, Denver is one of the most prominent programs in the country. So that should at least be a start for you to think about. If you get a LOR from the PD is it likely that all the other PDs in the US know who he is etc. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, EF.
:thumbup:
streetdoc