Where to exercize on the interview trail??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SergeGainsbourg

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far the hotels I've been staying in have had gyms. At very least I need an exercycle machine or something like that. But the hotel I'll be staying in for the next few days doesn't have that. Is it possible to use those centers like 'crunch' and 'bally's' on a one time pay per use basis? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not keen on street jogging in a big city that I don't know, btw.

Members don't see this ad.

SergeGainsbourg said:
So far the hotels I've been staying in have had gyms. At very least I need an exercycle machine or something like that. But the hotel I'll be staying in for the next few days doesn't have that. Is it possible to use those centers like 'crunch' and 'bally's' on a one time pay per use basis? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not keen on street jogging in a big city that I don't know, btw.

A few suggestions:

if visting a city with a large chain gym, see if they'll give you a trial membership for free (ie, tell them you've just moved to town and want to see if their facilities suit your need)

most will let you work out for a daily fee if visiting their city

some hotels will include the use of local gym facilities in the cost of the room (or at an extra cost)

if your room is large enough, how about bringing a jump rope? Good cardio.

many hotels have a DVD player; bring an exercise tape with you and work out in the room

Kimberli Cox said:
A few suggestions:

if visting a city with a large chain gym, see if they'll give you a trial membership for free (ie, tell them you've just moved to town and want to see if their facilities suit your need)

Excellent idea. I will be trying that. :thumbup:

Kimberli Cox said:
most will let you work out for a daily fee if visiting their city

Great

Kimberli Cox said:
some hotels will include the use of local gym facilities in the cost of the room (or at an extra cost)

I'll have to look into that.

Kimberli Cox said:
if your room is large enough, how about bringing a jump rope? Good cardio.

I thought of this (a variation anyway, not a fan of jumprope). But hotels with no gym generally have space issues, i.e. tiny rooms.

Kimberli Cox said:
many hotels have a DVD player; bring an exercise tape with you and work out in the room

Eh, I'm a guy. I'll say no more about that one. :p

Thanks Kim. Appreciate it. :cool:

Are you a walker? Today I grabbed a tourist map and walked 6 miles all over Nashville. Good exercise, and I got to see the city. :)

Hurricane said:
Are you a walker? Today I grabbed a tourist map and walked 6 miles all over Nashville. Good exercise, and I got to see the city. :)

Yeah, I love to walk. But I'd consider that recreation. Not excersize. Thanks, though. :)

try runnung the hotel stairs a few times, great work out.

Umm, why dont you just take a few days off?

Hurricane said:
If you're a runner or whatever, I downloaded this great program that lets you import a map (from mapquest, google, etc) and use your mouse to trace out a route, and it measures the distance like a pedometer as you roll your mouse along. Before I travel I can get a mapquest map of the area and already have a route with distance planned. But I mainly use it for around town here:

http://www.criticalpathsoftware.com/

I did the trial membership thing during an away rotation (24-hr fitness). Would definitely check that out.

Go to Golds, Ballys, 24 hour, etc. ..pay 5-10 $, and workout till you drop, or you get rid of all the stress of the interview trail. I did it at almost every interview, helps you sleep that night, got lost a few times though. :)

Wow, some people are really into exercising huh? I'll never understand that...to each their own though.

rugtrousers said:
I did the trial membership thing during an away rotation (24-hr fitness). Would definitely check that out.

This is the best way to go; just make sure that they don't enter any information into the computer. Otherwise, you won't be able to use this story at another 24 hr fitness. What sometimes works is to say that you don't have a lot of time this particular day, that you just want to get a quick workout in to test the facilities, and that you will schedule an appointment within the next few days to discuss a membership. Then just give them a fake phone number. Or, if they press you into giving your home address, name, etc, give fake information--and tell them that you forgot your ID so they can't verify anything. I hate to admit it, but before I got a 24 hr fitness membership, I did this sort of thing all the time...and I always got in! I sympathize with you--I know how addicting working out can be.
Regarding paying for a single day, the cost is usually outrageous--15 to 20 dollars at some places.

I belong to a gym that is a member of hte IPFA, which gives it reciprocity with gyms all over the country. Not that I'm suggesting anything unethical, but I've never actually had a gym I was visiting verify my home gym membership!!

Sebastian. said:
Wow! I have NEVER been in a hotel that offered a DVD player. You must be seriously rolling in cash, Kim. :eek:

Hardly...I usually stay at Motel 6/Comfort Inn type places, but if a program is paying for the hotel (which some fellowships did), or I'm staying in a relatively cheap town, even some of the less upscale places may have a DVD player in the room or one you can borrow from the front desk. Honestly...I earn a salary but its hardly serious cash and after all these interview expenses I'm broke.

toofache32 said:
Ummm...Are we still talking about Medicine here?

I think it's what's called a double entendre. ;)

I'll be doing 12oz curls on the interview trail..

SergeGainsbourg said:
So far the hotels I've been staying in have had gyms. At very least I need an exercycle machine or something like that. But the hotel I'll be staying in for the next few days doesn't have that.

Wow, that is seriously hardcore!

When I was on the interview trail I got so tired I couldn't even walk! Of course, maybe that's because I don't work out. :)

Sebastian. said:
Ok, I've now tried doing this at many economy type hotels - holiday inn, la quinta, comfort inn, etc. None of them offer this. Some of them just laughed.

Kim has got to have been staying in the marriot or some other fancy places like that. :p

Hmmm...maybe you're just not persuasive enough! ;)

That said, I have stayed in some nicer places as well, which generally are the ones which offer the DVD or VCR player in the room, but I swear, I've stayed in economy places before which have them as well.

Kimberli Cox said:
Hmmm...maybe you're just not persuasive enough! ;)

I don't even want to imagine what you might have offered them. :eek:

Kimberli Cox said:
That said, I have stayed in some nicer places as well, which generally are the ones which offer the DVD or VCR player in the room, but I swear......l.

Now you own up to it. I can just see you there jumping around in your leotard to a work-out dvd beaming at you from a giant plasma screen on the wall of your Waldorf-Astoria penthouse suite, while the butler irons your interview suit. Heaven only knows what kind of luxury you live in, Kim, when you're not on a budget.