where to find average step 1 score for integrated cardiothoracic programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anyone know???

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know???

Get a 270 or else you will be condemned to general surgery forever.

For real though. If you're looking into I6 programs, the step one score is a minor factor in selection of residents from among our interviewees. At the point where we're interviewing applicants, they all have good scores. It's the expectation. What we're really looking for is people who are a good fit, who will be productive in research and good at patient care and who won't flame out under the pressures of the job. We want to make sure you know what the hell you're getting into rather than the applicants (and we see these) who are smart with good scores and decided that an I6 residency was the shiny bauble du jour.

Reactions: 1 user
For real though. If you're looking into I6 programs, the step one score is a minor factor in selection of residents from among our interviewees.

Doesn't really answer his question. While I agree that there are many factors that go into selection, it is still useful to know the average step score to be competitive.

Anyone know???

Check out: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf

Page 9.

Unfortunately, the integrated ct programs are not specifically listed. I would assume it is similar to other integrated programs like plastics and vascular.

Can confirm as an applicant this year: our scores seem to split the difference between plastics and vascular integrated. >240 is competitive, >250 is great. I'm happy to share more specifics about my app & what I know about my fellow applicants with you if you're curious.

After you cross some magical threshold of Step 1 + grades, the most important thing is how well you've explored the field, thought about your future niche, and considered your alternatives. I've been explicitly asked how many weeks I've spent on cardiac and thoracic services at several interviews. Most programs have only 1 position, so losing a resident midway through training is an even more significant than usual. PDs are clearly working hard to find the people that won't bail.