Where to find info? (Neurology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestCoastNative

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where does everyone go to find helpful information regarding medicine? I usually use google, but over half of the links don't provide anything worth reading. Anyone care to provide some information on neurology? How's the specialty over all? It seems really appealing to me at the moment, but I want to get some more information on it. I heard that it's mostly based on performing tests and diagnosing the problem, but do they perform any procedures (spinal tap maybe)?

Members don't see this ad.

If you go to the residents forum, there is a forum for neurology. Perhaps that can answer some of your questions.

Where does everyone go to find helpful information regarding medicine? I usually use google, but over half of the links don't provide anything worth reading. Anyone care to provide some information on neurology? How's the specialty over all? It seems really appealing to me at the moment, but I want to get some more information on it. I heard that it's mostly based on performing tests and diagnosing the problem, but do they perform any procedures (spinal tap maybe)?

I second the recommendation to go read threads in the resident's forum. It is a resident's forum, however, so please read before you post -- there have been plenty of threads of the pros and cons of the field.

Your question is incredibly vague, so I'm not sure what you are trying to find out. It is not a procedure-heavy field, although there is the exception that some people do pursue neurointerventional fellowships after a neuro residency. Also, the answer regarding procedures is going to depend on what you consider a procedure -- administering a nerve block? adjusting a stimulator? botox for spasticity or headache? neuro intraoperative monitoring?

If when you say you heard it's mostly based on performing tests and diagnosis, you're getting at the notion that neurologists don't provide treatment . . . sigh. Treatments aren't always curative in any field, and there is tremendous ability to improve quality of life for many patients with chronic neurologic disease in plenty of the subspecialties.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing what has been said already, definitely check out the resident forums and read, but avoid posting a thread. Since you're pre-med, it will just be moved back here to pre-allo.

Where does everyone go to find helpful information regarding medicine? I usually use google, but over half of the links don't provide anything worth reading. Anyone care to provide some information on neurology? How's the specialty overall? It seems really appealing to me at the moment, but I want to get some more information on it. I heard that it's mostly based on performing tests and diagnosing the problem, but do they perform any procedures (spinal tap maybe)?

I had the same question. I want to wait to experience clinical rotations before deciding on a specialty, but as a preliminary interests, emergency medicine and neurology (esp. concussions and strokes) are at the top of my list.

My plan is to attempt to shadow a neurologist and try to get him/her to have lunch with me so I can hopefully get the full picture of what practicing neurology is like. Some people (and probably some doctors) are more comfortable talking in private or away from coworkers. I plan to ask questions like, "When you started practicing neurology, is there anything about the profession that you didn't expect? (That came unexpected?)", "What personality traits or types of people do well in neurology in your opinion? And who, or what kinds of people don't?", "What sorts of things do you enjoy most/least about being a neurologist?", etc.

EMG is their big procedure. Some neuromuscular neurologists do muscle biopsies. This book has pretty good discussion on many specialties: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty by Freeman