Where to find post-undergrad research-related work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eorenta2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in college right now and I applied to a handful of Clinical Psychology PhD programs. Seeing as I have not heard back from any of them, I'm thinking that it's time for me to start looking for jobs that will help increase my chances of getting in to a PhD program in the next couple of years. What kind of jobs should I be looking for and where should I look for them? I've looked on some university websites' job boards for research positions, and I can't tell if the results I'm finding are the kinds of jobs that will actually give me the post-undergrad research experience that PhD programs are looking for. The qualifications for some of the jobs are a bachelor's degree, research experience, etc., but some only list a high school diploma. How can I tell what jobs would be worth applying to?
Also, should I contact faculty members directly or should I only go through job boards? Thanks for your help everyone!

*Also I should mention that right now I'm working in a lab at my university as a paid (hourly) research coordinator. I have the opportunity to stay in this position after graduation if I want to, but I'm basically keeping this as a back-up plan because I'd like to move away from my university's town. Would this position be worth staying in?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a senior in college right now and I applied to a handful of Clinical Psychology PhD programs. Seeing as I have not heard back from any of them, I'm thinking that it's time for me to start looking for jobs that will help increase my chances of getting in to a PhD program in the next couple of years. What kind of jobs should I be looking for and where should I look for them? I've looked on some university websites' job boards for research positions, and I can't tell if the results I'm finding are the kinds of jobs that will actually give me the post-undergrad research experience that PhD programs are looking for. The qualifications for some of the jobs are a bachelor's degree, research experience, etc., but some only list a high school diploma. How can I tell what jobs would be worth applying to?
Also, should I contact faculty members directly or should I only go through job boards? Thanks for your help everyone!

*Also I should mention that right now I'm working in a lab at my university as a paid (hourly) research coordinator. I have the opportunity to stay in this position after graduation if I want to, but I'm basically keeping this as a back-up plan because I'd like to move away from my university's town. Would this position be worth staying in?
Keep following university job boards. Some positions posted there may already be filled, but try anyway in case they are not. Some labs may keep your application materials on file and contact you later if there is a position that matches your qualifications.

Contacting professors is also an option that I've heard others try successfully. You might have the best chances with professors who are in your specific areas of interest. Don't be too discouraged if you don't hear back; they're often flooded with emails and may not be able to get back to you.

Set up job alerts, both on individual universities' career sites and on the generic aggregators (e.g., Glassdoor, Indeed, LinkedIn).

Post-baccalaureate research positions are posted here, as well: Post-bacc RA Opportunities

If you have some interest in cognitive or developmental psychology, then subscribe to the COGDEVSOC listserv, as RA positions are posted there from time to time.

In any position you land, take full advantage of opportunities to get or even submit your own poster presentations and publications (but especially publications).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Last edited: