Where to find resident moonlighting opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reca

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I just lost my VA moonlighting gig to a psych NP. My program doesn't allow internal moonlighting. I've tried reaching out to a few places but they all require board eligibility. Anyone know how to go about finding moonlighting opportunities for residents?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Welcome to the world of mid-levels. It won't be the only time they take one of your jobs.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so I just lost my VA moonlighting gig to a psych NP. My program doesn't allow internal moonlighting. I've tried reaching out to a few places but they all require board eligibility. Anyone know how to go about finding moonlighting opportunities for residents?
At least in my area, neither the state facilities nor the prisons require board certification. Is that an option?

Damn NPs are undercutting resident moonlighting rates? How much were you getting per hour?

I haven't found a way better than asking around in the program. Even attendings might have an inside line on places that might need weekend or night coverage.

At least in my area, neither the state facilities nor the prisons require board certification. Is that an option?

Thanks, I'll look into it. No state hospital nearby but we do have prisons.

Damn NPs are undercutting resident moonlighting rates? How much were you getting per hour?

I haven't found a way better than asking around in the program. Even attendings might have an inside line on places that might need weekend or night coverage.

For this job, $130/hour. It wasn't a "resident" moonlighting rate, it was just psychiatry moonlighting that was open to PGY-3's and above. There were a handful of attendings who also picked up shifts, I presume at the same rate.

For this job, $130/hour. It wasn't a "resident" moonlighting rate, it was just psychiatry moonlighting that was open to PGY-3's and above. There were a handful of attendings who also picked up shifts, I presume at the same rate.
Never presume what anyone else is making. And always negotiate. Obviously your negotiating powers is mostly non existent as a resident but when you get done, never take what they offer.

Talk with current residents to see where they moonlight. The issue of not being BE/BC is going to be a recurrent problem as this will introduce issues with liability and billing, but some institutions may not care if you offer something of value (for example, one of my colleagues set up a telepsych gig for a chain of urgent cares as a PGY-4 where he was on call and saw patients presenting with psychiatric complaints - the benefit to the urgent care system is that the patients get moved more quickly than they would otherwise). See if an inpatient hospital/unit in your area is willing to have you cover overnight call or weekend rounding.

It will largely depend on what's available in your area.