ZAZA67401

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Miami
Status
So if you don't get accepted and have to enter the working world...where do you get a job if you don't want to do research? From what I have looked into it is next to impossible to find a job in a hospital without taking courses at the vocational school to get certifications and stuff. The other problem I think will be the fact that you are applying to medical school, so what employer is going to want you for just a year or even less? Anybody have some advice or a good way to go?

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
AmeriCorps is a good option if you don't mind the less-than-minimum-wage stipend.

CoverMe

Registered Republican
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Status
I really lucked out with my job... but with a BS in Bio I teach undergrad (lower div) bio labs. Works out to about $20/25 and hour, PT, good parking space etc.

I'm sort of a post bacc... although they don't specifically have that program at my university, it amounts to the same thing. I get tuition reimbursement too...

so, what i'm saying is, put that expensive degree to work for ya! ;)

docbooboo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2004
Visit site
Status
Check out eye banks or organ procurement agencies. i worked for an eye bank before med school, it was pretty cool.

relema

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
H town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I worked at a molecular diagnostic lab for a while in the clinical trials department. I faxed and entered the results and dealt with all the data we recieved. So I never had to venture into the lab if i didn't want to. I hated the job though and find my current research job so much more interesting.

Erasmus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
The Library
Status
I am not happy that you have to find a job, but boy am I happy that I'm not the only one having difficulty finding a job. [wipes sweat off brow] I mean really, how sucky is it to have this science degree (chemistry in my case) with absolutely no chance to use it. Sometimes I think I would have been better off going to a votech school and doing my two years, since all the positions require some sort of tech cert. or a masters. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I think I'm either going to become a secretary, or start selling my genetic material.

**Don't even try Blockbuster. I was rejected from their SOM this year too. :oops: :laugh:

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
staffing agencies are always looking for lab geeks to fill spots. google!

shinji

Healthcare for Life
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
San Francisco
Status
Dental Student
Try www.biospace.com
It has a very detailed list of job openings in biotech industries.

By the way, don't mention to your job interviewer that you are applying to med schools in the coming year. That's how i got my job.

brockre

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
I know you said that you don't want to do research, but you should consider the IRTA program at the NIH. IRTA stands for Intramural Research Training Award. It is a program specifically for people who are applying to medical/graduate school, so you can actually get a lot of help with your application while doing paid research at the same time. You apply on-line, and labs review the applications and call people who they are interested in. People usually apply in the spring so they can start in the fall and work for an entire year, but I applied around October, started in February and worked until med school started in August, so the amount of flexibility is determined by your lab. I got three calls in December. One lab wanted me to go to Bethesda for an interview, but the other two labs interviewed me on the phone. They know that you're applying to medical school, so there is no need to hide anything, and everyone in the future will be very impressed that you did research at the NIH.

I'm not really into research, but I loved my time there, and it beat the hell out of the job I had waiting tables. I got more money, more respect, and it helped my med school application.

OP
Z

ZAZA67401

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Miami
Status
brockre said:
I know you said that you don't want to do research, but you should consider the IRTA program at the NIH. IRTA stands for Intramural Research Training Award. It is a program specifically for people who are applying to medical/graduate school, so you can actually get a lot of help with your application while doing paid research at the same time. You apply on-line, and labs review the applications and call people who they are interested in. People usually apply in the spring so they can start in the fall and work for an entire year, but I applied around October, started in February and worked until med school started in August, so the amount of flexibility is determined by your lab. I got three calls in December. One lab wanted me to go to Bethesda for an interview, but the other two labs interviewed me on the phone. They know that you're applying to medical school, so there is no need to hide anything, and everyone in the future will be very impressed that you did research at the NIH.

I'm not really into research, but I loved my time there, and it beat the hell out of the job I had waiting tables. I got more money, more respect, and it helped my med school application.

Thanks..that was nice of you to respond. It is just nice to know I am not alone in searching for a job and worrying about how it looks to medical schools. If something good doesn't hppen soon I will be heading off to the NIH hopefully. I got a job as phelobotomist, but I think I would rather do research and save up more money and actually use my degree than continue on.