Where to get cheap ties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axeon123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for cheap ties? Ross, TJMaxx, Marshall's? How many should I get? 7 and rotate for three weeks and mass dry clean them? I've been using one tie for a while :scared:

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Any recommendations for cheap ties? Ross, TJMaxx, Marshall's? How many should I get? 7 and rotate for three weeks and mass dry clean them? I've been using one tie for a while :scared:

Thanks.

You should never send ties to the cleaners unless you want to destroy them. I guess if you're going to get cheap ones, then it won't matter, but most dry cleaners simply don't have the experience to keep your ties nice.

If you absolutely must get them cleaned because of actual stains, then I'd recommend Tie Crafters (www.tiecrafters.com). You simply mail them your ties and payment based on the rates on their website plus shipping and they'll take care of it. But again, unless you're an absolute slob, you shouldn't need to use this service frequently.

And how in the hell did you make it this far with only one? That's failing at life in my book...Cripes...you should have asked for ties for holiday gifts.

Khols

I would get one for every dress shirt. So about 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
Burlington actually has nice ties cheap.

I'd make sure to have enough ties that you can wear a different one every day for a week, ideally you'd have a few extras in there for variety. No one will pay attention long enough to notice if you wear the same tie you wore last week unless it really stands out.

As for places to get them... TJ Max, Marshall's, Kohls, Stein Mart all have good selections. Even chains like Macy's occasionally have good selections at reasonable prices when they're having a sale.

And don't dry clean them.

And how in the hell did you make it this far with only one? That's failing at life in my book...Cripes...you should have asked for ties for holiday gifts.

I had to teach one of my buddies how to tie a tie at the start of third year... then give him a handful of my old ones b/c the only one he had was a looney-toons tie and his first rotation was OB/Gyn.

Are you guys serious about never cleaning your ties? That feels so dirty.

I'm going to visit Marshall's today for cheap ties.

Are you guys serious about never cleaning your ties? That feels so dirty.

I'm going to visit Marshall's today for cheap ties.

Unless you are rubbing your tie on people, then it needs a wash every few uses. You can wash it as many times as you like, just follow the instructions on the label.

Marshall's or Macy's clearance tie rack. The Macy's rack (only one in the store usually) can have some real gems for under 20 bucks, usually marked down from like 95 bucks.

If you are actually trying to live like a med student, go to Savers or Goodwill. If you're willing to sift you can usually find pretty new ties, and at $1.99 a pop you really can't beat it.

If you are actually trying to live like a med student, go to Savers or Goodwill. If you're willing to sift you can usually find pretty new ties, and at $1.99 a pop you really can't beat it.

Let's not go overboard, here. Once you start medical school, you will see that loans do cover new ties...lol..you don't need to go through 'the best of the 70s' tie collection that someone donated when his father died.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, Walmart has some real nice ones for $10 or less a pop. I wouldn't buy any other dress clothes there (shirt, pants, etc), but the ties are actually really solid (good colors/designs).

I've gotten several compliments on some of these ties.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's not go overboard, here. Once you start medical school, you will see that loans do cover new ties...lol..you don't need to go through 'the best of the 70s' tie collection that someone donated when his father died.

Meh, I used to feel the same way about thrift stores until my wife drug me into one. You can actually find some really nice stuff, especially this time of year (larger dept stores will donate large amounts of close for tax purposes). I've gotten plenty of namebrand items with the tags still on. So I can't blame you for your opinion, but it really is one of those don't knock it until you've rocked it ordeals. Of course the quality of goods these stores carry may vary from region to region.

Honestly, Walmart has some real nice ones for $10 or less a pop. I wouldn't buy any other dress clothes there (shirt, pants, etc), but the ties are actually really solid (good colors/designs).

I've gotten several compliments on some of these ties.

Agreed. I've bought a couple of ties from there. And actually I've been fine with their pants too..

Century 21 has some great ties for about 10-13 bucks a pop! Someone mentioned Walmart which does have great prices for ties but they all have an obvious cheap-tie look to them (if that is something that concerns you). Also, the quality sucks. The stitching from the one tie I got from that store is already disintegrating.

YES to Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx! Nordstrom Rack is good too, but a tad bit pricier. I think someone said Burlington already...

Quality, designer names for a fraction of the price

Century 21 has some great ties for about 10-13 bucks a pop! Someone mentioned Walmart which does have great prices for ties but they all have an obvious cheap-tie look to them (if that is something that concerns you). Also, the quality sucks. The stitching from the one tie I got from that store is already disintegrating.

I disagree, actually. The ties I've gotten at Walmart seem to me to have a rather high-quality look (maybe not super awesome brand-look, but definitely not cheap-o crap look either).

But, to each his own.

Men's Warehouse is having buy 1 get 1 on everything in the store. Some of the ties there are $20, too.

Everytime I go there I get suckered into buying ties and the ones I like are always way more expensive.

I've gotten some very nice ties at Kohls but really, I just kind of keep my eye out whenever I'm going around town. I've even seen ok looking ones at walmart.

As far as the dry cleaning thing, I must have lucked out because the place I went to was awesome with it. I had one get in my dry cleaning by accident but they did a solid job. I then took a bunch of them at once and never had issues. It probably depends on what clientelle frequent that business though.

Costco sells Hathaway ties for like $15. They tie a fat knot but look pretty good.

i also recommend goodwill. they have some decent stuff in there. i lost all my ties once while moving and i went to goodwill and snagged 10 ties over 2 weekends for 20 bucks. ranged from decent to really nice.

Seriously wow just go to Ebay and ties are 2 dollars from China. Silk ties, skinny ties. Free shipping too. 20 bucks on a tie you must have a lot of loan money to spend.

Not the most practical...but go to Italy. You can get pure silk and nice ties for around $5. Turn around and keep some and sell the rest for $40 a pop in the states.

I get mostly JCPenney brand ties - Stafford. A lot of them are nice and you can wash them. You can get usually get a nice tie for 10-15 bucks. I've gotten a few on sale for <$10. A lot of times you can get a shirt and tie (in a box set) for $18-20.

Also, I wouldn't buy a lot of ties. There's no reason to stretch your budget to impress others. Buy a couple shirts and ties. Your dress clothes wardrobe will slowly expand. I must have gotten at least a dozen shirts or ties for birthdays/christmas/whatever from people who don't know what else to buy me. And I'll pick up a shirt or tie if I'm ever around and see a nice one on sale.

You're doing it wrong.

Its called having less loan money to pay back with interest. I am doing it right and with a nice saving in the end.

I am not a giant so I don't need regular ties to hide me. And I can't work bow-ties like you apparently.

Its called having less loan money to pay back with interest. I am doing it right and with a nice saving in the end.

I am not a giant so I don't need regular ties to hide me. And I can't work bow-ties like you apparently.
Good for you on the cheapness end. I just consider skinny ties to be trendy and not professional. YMMV but most attendings are of an older generation.

Everytime I go there I get suckered into buying ties and the ones I like are always way more expensive.

I've gotten some very nice ties at Kohls but really, I just kind of keep my eye out whenever I'm going around town. I've even seen ok looking ones at walmart.

As far as the dry cleaning thing, I must have lucked out because the place I went to was awesome with it. I had one get in my dry cleaning by accident but they did a solid job. I then took a bunch of them at once and never had issues. It probably depends on what clientelle frequent that business though.

I can attest to this.

This is the man who the salespeople at men's wearhouse have pegged as a sucker - I.e. "I'm just looking for a tie" then walks out with three shirts, two belts, four ties and a half dozen pairs of socks.

It would be a lot easier to wear a neutral color like white so that you can pretty much use any color tie. Me personally I have combinations that would go well with different color slacks and shirts. You gotta be smart about it. Where to buy the tie depends on your budget and whether you want designer ties or just something to add color to your attire. I got most of mine from Express when they are on sale or at a department store like Macys

It would be a lot easier to wear a neutral color like white so that you can pretty much use any color tie. Me personally I have combinations that would go well with different color slacks and shirts. You gotta be smart about it. Where to buy the tie depends on your budget and whether you want designer ties or just something to add color to your attire. I got most of mine from Express when they are on sale or at a department store like Macys

I don't wear white shirts to clinic because I feel like it looks weird with a white shirt and the white coat. Also, Macy's Club Room "easy care" always come out of the dryer looking very wrinkled.

I can attest to this.

This is the man who the salespeople at men's wearhouse have pegged as a sucker - I.e. "I'm just looking for a tie" then walks out with three shirts, two belts, four ties and a half dozen pairs of socks.
Haha, I think I'm the guy who gets pegged as "Oh, he's not buying ****. He's just gonna walk around, look at stuff, tell his wife he doesn't need anything and leave."

Cheap ties from Marshall's, TJ Max, BCF. Try estate or yard/garage sales too. For cleaning, dry cleaning does work. If you have a small stain on a silk tie use a isopropyl or ethyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol or vodka) and dab the spot, works great.

Ties are the # spreader of germs in a hospital. Does your hospital's dress code require a tie? In any case if you must wear a tie, get tie clips (size should match the tie width) so you don't get all the nasty patient junk on your ties.

Good places for ties:
-Nordstrom's Rack***
-Marshall's (sometimes)
-consignment store
-Ebay (once you know the brand, style, and material you like)
Best = custom made when travelling in SE Asia :)

PS. I'm a girl but I do go tie shopping for my boyfriend and my dad often.

If you are still looking for low-priced yet good quality ties, I suggest you take a look at Wolfmorgan. They have great ones for $ 20.

Hope you have increased your tie-count by now!

With a good crowbar I've found the men's locker room has quite a few. Not sure what to do with all the bow-ties though...

Buy ties on ebay. You can get brooks brothers ties for like 5-10 bucks a tie and the patterns are decent.

Used ties are fine...

I thrifted the majority of mine.