Where to get CNA cert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocket3004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it has been asked before, I searched for the topic that discussed this before, but where exactly do you go about getting a cna certification from? Nursing home, hopsital, etc? Who do I call at those facilities (if they offer cna classes)? Is there anywhere else I can try, or maybe a good website that has cna information and where to get certified/where to take classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Rocket3004 said:
I know it has been asked before, I searched for the topic that discussed this before, but where exactly do you go about getting a cna certification from? Nursing home, hopsital, etc? Who do I call at those facilities (if they offer cna classes)? Is there anywhere else I can try, or maybe a good website that has cna information and where to get certified/where to take classes?

Many nursing homes offer certification programs; they will want you to work at their facility for "x" amount of time afterwards. If you want a no strings attached certification, many voc-tech colleges offer a short certification course. The hospitals in my area generally do not offer this.

As far as a website, I remember seeing a link under the recommended link list at the top of this forum for a website that tells you different programs at schools in allied health care in different states. I tried to look for it quickly just now, but didn't see it.

CNA is a good way to get clinical experience, usually its a 6 week class with both a lecture and clinical lab, it does consume some time though, if you are working too. Usually cna's start out working in nursing homes, but some in hospitals fresh out of school. I went for the emt cert instead though, everyone says you start out as an er tech. You might also want to look into clinical research opportunities, which pay more and so if you have graduated already with a BS, then this might be a good option. Check out medzilla for jobs in your area. If you are still in school then I might even do both an emt and cna, cause neither are really difficult and you have plenty of clinical job options when you finish school. hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, most programs are through community colleges, I have yet to find any others except at voc-tech colleges and I thought community college might be better than vo-tech, no good reason though, just my opinion

I found a program through American Red Cross. I am still debating on whether or not something like this is for me. I might just go the old volunteer route.

Google your state board of nursing. They should have a list of acredited CNA classes.