Where to get R versions of AAMC tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chem4ever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep on hearing how it's better to take those because they build up your endurance but I have no idea where to get them from.

Members don't see this ad.

I keep on hearing how it's better to take those because they build up your endurance but I have no idea where to get them from.

Be careful how much you let such comments affect your studying. The "R" versions you are talking about I assume are the revised versions of the exam that AAMC released back when they made a change in the sequence of the MCAT (PS became first and VR second) and reduced verbal from 65 questions to 60 questions in the paper version.

Once you get a hold of these magical exams and see that all they are is the same exams available to you on line, but with a few more passages, I think the hype will subside. Just do the AAMC CBTs and you'll get exposed to exactly what the "R" exams will do, but it'll be in a better format.

I will agree that the "R" exams can prove useful for a second time test-taker who has already used all the AAMC CBTs, because it will give them ten new passages per R-exam. But keep in mind that not all of those exams are real exams. For instance, AAMC Practice Exam 1 was written in 1990 as a sample of what the new MCAT was going to be. It was generally regarded as unrealistic and it gave a score that was lower than expected. People saw big jumps from AAMC 1 to their next practice exam without doing much studying.

I hope SN2ed weighs in on this, because more than anyone at SDN, he has kept in tune with the MCAT over the years.

What I hear is that AAMC 3R is the same as CBT 3 but with more passages. It sounds like the recommended way is to do the first few in the R version, and then when it gets to the later versions (9-11), to do the CBTs.

I plan on doing the Berkeley CBT's as well so I think I will have enough CBT practice.
Do you still think it's not worth giving up the CBT experience for those few tests?

What I hear is that AAMC 3R is the same as CBT 3 but with more passages. It sounds like the recommended way is to do the first few in the R version, and then when it gets to the later versions (9-11), to do the CBTs.

I plan on doing the Berkeley CBT's as well so I think I will have enough CBT practice.
Do you still think it's not worth giving up the CBT experience for those few tests?

The best scenario would be knowing which passages on the R versions were not covered on the CBTs, but I don't know if that list still exists at SDN.

I only think there is an R on exams 3-6. Considering there is no AAMC CBT 6 anymore, getting 6R is a good idea. For 3-5, if you have enough CBTs to do and you don't mind losing those exams from your computer arsenal, then your plan sounds like a good one.

But I think before the R exams I'd get the AAMC guideline to the MCAT and their assessment exams. Exhaust the current materials before fishing for some of the material from the early and mid 90s. In addition to 3R through 6R, there are also AAMC released materials called "Practice Items for BS", "Practice Items for PS", and "Practice Items for verbal reasoning". I think these will do the same thing as the R exams.

The problem, as you alluded to, is finding materials that are long out of print. I'm not sure what to suggest besides searching for them on eBay. All of the AAMC R-exams come in nice booklets with a separate answer booklet that is very good.