Apr 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello,
So the colleges of pharmacy im looking at are Purdue, UCSF, UCSD, and Ohio state. I also plan on having a few back ups. But I understand that a lot of these are biased toward there own students, The thing is I can apply to ohio state and Purdue, I would rather go to purdue but is two years of pre req bad? I mean if i can go to Purdue and take their program ill probably get into it, as do many of there own students, but i really want to apply to UCSF and UCSD, so would i be competitive with only 2 years under my belt? Or should i just be happy with Purdue since its ranked 4th and thats amazing? Or would it be more benificial as a career move to get a bachelors then a pharmD?
thanks for the advice.

Project2015

5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Two years isn't necessarily bad, but will that be enough time to do extremely well in those courses and shine through excellent ECs, LORs, etc.? As far as this aspect goes, it should demonstrate that you have the ability to do well with a full load of rigorous science courses in a semester/quarter.

The vast majority (something like 99%) of people applying to UCSF and UCSD will have a bachelors and not having one is an exception, so you can interpret that statistic as you like.

Moreover, taking the four years to get a bachelors would be better for most people as it allows time for people to get a better idea of themselves and their goals. Considering that you are not 100% set on pharmacy, a bachelors would provide more options. If you ever change your mind, those 2 years of prereqs only will essentially be a waste.

Apr 9, 2010
Status
What if im accepted to Purdue should I take their pharmacy program? since pre pharmacy is 2 years or would it be better doing undergrad somewhere else?

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
What if im accepted to Purdue should I take their pharmacy program? since pre pharmacy is 2 years or would it be better doing undergrad somewhere else?
It really doesn't matter where you take your prerequisites as longest you get all A's or B's and rock the PCAT.

I'm currently taking prerequisites at cc instead of four year college because I find CC to be cheaper and of course convenience.

FYI: It turns out that I have five years of Business Operation Manager, have BS in Business Management. :)

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
If you get into Purdue, (pre-pharmacy) and perform well, as I understand it, you'll be elevated to the Pharm.D (similar to a 0-6).

For UCSD and UCSF, you'll need a Bachelor's degree. project 0215 was correct... you'd be the aberration instead of the norm if you applied to basically any school in CA sans a 4 year degree (This soft requirement is, IMO, in place to counteract the lack of a PCAT req).

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at it like this:

Apply to all programs.

If I get into Purdue:
--- Go to Purdue. Perform extremely well, get into Pharm.D program (and if I don't perform well, I can finish my Bachelor's degree at Purdue, then apply to other schools).

If I didn't get into Purdue:

I'd work on my Bachelor's degree. I would do this for many reasons, not the least of which is that everyone needs a back-up plan. What if you don't get into pharmacy and are left with two years of pre-requisites only? Now you'll be stuck in between a rock and a hard place, aye?

This is your future, your life in your hands. Why rush anything? Rushing through things is why at least half the non-trads (like me) are just starting the program.

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I agree, you should not rush through completing your prerequisites. These courses are vital to your success on the PCAT.

Apr 9, 2010
Status
well would it be hard to switch majors at purdue I mean it is a pharmacy program afterall, Plus would I even want to switch out of it? Or what if I get my pharmD and realize this is boring i dont like it?

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
well would it be hard to switch majors at purdue I mean it is a pharmacy program afterall, Plus would I even want to switch out of it? Or what if I get my pharmD and realize this is boring i dont like it?

I don't know enough specifically about Purdue's "pre-pharmacy" program to talk about it. Do you get a BS in something, or do you just do the 2 years of pre-requisites then go directly into your Pharm.D.? Good information there...

Sounds like a good question(s) for the Purdue admissions people, to be honest.

Or what if I get my pharmD and realize this is boring i dont like it
Same could be said for anything, absolutely anything, you do in your life. If you're second-guessing yourself like that, it won't matter what you choose.... the same "what if?" can be applied unilaterally. To help answer the question in this scenario, though, get some good experience in a variety of settings (shadowing, retail technician, etc) and you'll be better prepared.

Project2015

5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I don't know specifically about Purdue, but pharmacy pre-reqs are applicable to a variety of lower division courses for life science and some physical science majors.

Your last question definitely emphasizes the point that you should get a bachelors first. Figure out what you want to study for undergrad first, then think about volunteer/intern/work experiences and the graduate program that will get you that type of career. Don't think of undergrad as merely a stepping stone to the next level of schooling if it's unnecessary (i.e., no serious financial or personal reasons to fast track).

Apr 9, 2010
Status
thanks for the advice its appreciated :)

Would it be better to attend to a public or private college then apply to pharmacy school, will that make me more competitive? If I am accepted to Purdue should i attend and do there pre pharmacy reqs then get an undergrad Then apply to Pharm school? Or would it look better to attend a program like Michigans? What degree do you get at the end of a four year pre-pharmacy program anyway? I just want to go to a good pharmacy school so that when i graduate ill be getting offers for jobs. Should I go to a school that specializes in one type of pharmacy (retail, clinical, research) or one that doesnt really specialize but has all three?

Apr 9, 2010
Status
does going to a private college help my chances of getting into a good pharmacy school?

whtcstlefanatic

7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
West Lafayette, IN
Status
Pharmacy Student
If you go to Purdue for pre-pharm, you'll be applying to the actual school after your first year. If you feel like you don't want to go pharmacy school, the pharmacy department has a B.S degree in pharmaceutical sciences and you can use that to apply to Med School or whatever. The pre-reqs for that B.S degree are pretty much the same as pharmacy school with the exception of 1 or 2 classes and you apply to that program after 1 year as well.

If you have any other questions about pre-pharmacy at Purdue, feel free to PM me.

Apr 9, 2010
Status
Would going to a private college that has an amazing science program help or hurt chances or admittance into pharmacy school? Like the college is a top research college, it is well known for its outstanding chemistry program, most graduates usually go on to professional school and they are great schools. Its hope college in Holland, Michigan, and I'm just worried if it would help or hurt chances, you know? but the great thing about it is its easy to switch to a different science discipline, Which is good.