Where to go from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpicyOmlet

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a tight spot right now with getting the A from a medical school. I have had three interviews. One was way back in September at my in state school and they specifically said they wait to give out 80% of admissions decisions until late April. I interviewed at two other schools, one that I have close ties with and has historically had a very high post interview acceptance rate, and the other at a school I have pretty much no ties with. I know people are not the best judges of their own interview skills but I think that overall my interviews went very well. I have yet to hear back from the third school but I was put on the waitlist for the second school that I have strong ties with. They said they were being more conservative with acceptances this year (because they over accepted last year) and I interviewed late in the cycle so it makes sense. Again, I know it could have just been my interview, but I think because they don't have many acceptance spots left, they waitlisted me for yield protection reasons. I have a MCAT 5 points higher than their median and a GPA that is about 0.2 points higher. I think they don't want to give me a spot and "waste" it because in their eyes I might just go to a higher stats school.

I would love to attend this school but my in state school is my first choice. I know I can send a letter of intent to my second choice but I don't want to do that now and then a month later hear from my top choice and have to turn them down. I am also afraid that if I wait until late April and get rejected from my top choice, it will be too late to send a letter of intent to my second. Its rough timing and I am not quite sure what the best action is right now at this point. Is there something slightly below a letter of intent that pretty much says "I loved the school and would highly consider going here if accepted"?

Thanks for reading all of that.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a tight spot right now with getting the A from a medical school. I have had three interviews. One was way back in September at my in state school and they specifically said they wait to give out 80% of admissions decisions until late April. I interviewed at two other schools, one that I have close ties with and has historically had a very high post interview acceptance rate, and the other at a school I have pretty much no ties with. I know people are not the best judges of their own interview skills but I think that overall my interviews went very well. I have yet to hear back from the third school but I was put on the waitlist for the second school that I have strong ties with. They said they were being more conservative with acceptances this year (because they over accepted last year) and I interviewed late in the cycle so it makes sense. Again, I know it could have just been my interview, but I think because they don't have many acceptance spots left, they waitlisted me for yield protection reasons. I have a MCAT 5 points higher than their median and a GPA that is about 0.2 points higher. I think they don't want to give me a spot and "waste" it because in their eyes I might just go to a higher stats school.

I would love to attend this school but my in state school is my first choice. I know I can send a letter of intent to my second choice but I don't want to do that now and then a month later hear from my top choice and have to turn them down. I am also afraid that if I wait until late April and get rejected from my top choice, it will be too late to send a letter of intent to my second. Its rough timing and I am not quite sure what the best action is right now at this point. Is there something slightly below a letter of intent that pretty much says "I loved the school and would highly consider going here if accepted"?

Slightly below Letter of intent would be letter of interest. I used one this cycle with positive results.

Reactions: 1 user
Because such letters are non-binding and not all applicants are truthful, such letters don't hold much sway. If you have a meaningful update (e.g., publication, etc.), I would be more inclined to that in order to reflect your continued interest.

Members don't see this ad :)

A) Make sure the school you send LOI accepts such things.
B) Unless you're a Harvard/Stanford caliber candidate, just because you have an accept at once school doesn't mean you're more of a catch.
Your chances are best with your state school
C) No school is going to waste an interview spot on someone they think will go elsewhere.
D) Patient is a virtue; wait until end of April.
E) Be at peace with the idea that you might end up only at your current accept school. If not, then dump them now.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there something slightly below a letter of intent that pretty much says "I loved the school and would highly consider going here if accepted"?
I would definitely not do this, I think there's a strong chance they would interpret it as a lack of interest and would know that they're a backup.