Aug 7, 2019
37
101
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am in a tight spot right now with getting the A from a medical school. I have had three interviews. One was way back in September at my in state school and they specifically said they wait to give out 80% of admissions decisions until late April. I interviewed at two other schools, one that I have close ties with and has historically had a very high post interview acceptance rate, and the other at a school I have pretty much no ties with. I know people are not the best judges of their own interview skills but I think that overall my interviews went very well. I have yet to hear back from the third school but I was put on the waitlist for the second school that I have strong ties with. They said they were being more conservative with acceptances this year (because they over accepted last year) and I interviewed late in the cycle so it makes sense. Again, I know it could have just been my interview, but I think because they don't have many acceptance spots left, they waitlisted me for yield protection reasons. I have a MCAT 5 points higher than their median and a GPA that is about 0.2 points higher. I think they don't want to give me a spot and "waste" it because in their eyes I might just go to a higher stats school.


I would love to attend this school but my in state school is my first choice. I know I can send a letter of intent to my second choice but I don't want to do that now and then a month later hear from my top choice and have to turn them down. I am also afraid that if I wait until late April and get rejected from my top choice, it will be too late to send a letter of intent to my second. Its rough timing and I am not quite sure what the best action is right now at this point. Is there something slightly below a letter of intent that pretty much says "I loved the school and would highly consider going here if accepted"?

Thanks for reading all of that.
 

ChymeofPassion

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
1,332
3,343
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I am in a tight spot right now with getting the A from a medical school. I have had three interviews. One was way back in September at my in state school and they specifically said they wait to give out 80% of admissions decisions until late April. I interviewed at two other schools, one that I have close ties with and has historically had a very high post interview acceptance rate, and the other at a school I have pretty much no ties with. I know people are not the best judges of their own interview skills but I think that overall my interviews went very well. I have yet to hear back from the third school but I was put on the waitlist for the second school that I have strong ties with. They said they were being more conservative with acceptances this year (because they over accepted last year) and I interviewed late in the cycle so it makes sense. Again, I know it could have just been my interview, but I think because they don't have many acceptance spots left, they waitlisted me for yield protection reasons. I have a MCAT 5 points higher than their median and a GPA that is about 0.2 points higher. I think they don't want to give me a spot and "waste" it because in their eyes I might just go to a higher stats school.


I would love to attend this school but my in state school is my first choice. I know I can send a letter of intent to my second choice but I don't want to do that now and then a month later hear from my top choice and have to turn them down. I am also afraid that if I wait until late April and get rejected from my top choice, it will be too late to send a letter of intent to my second. Its rough timing and I am not quite sure what the best action is right now at this point. Is there something slightly below a letter of intent that pretty much says "I loved the school and would highly consider going here if accepted"?

Thanks for reading all of that.
Slightly below Letter of intent would be letter of interest. I used one this cycle with positive results.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rachapkis

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2018
726
1,385
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Because such letters are non-binding and not all applicants are truthful, such letters don't hold much sway. If you have a meaningful update (e.g., publication, etc.), I would be more inclined to that in order to reflect your continued interest.
 
About the Ads

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
64,957
99,817
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I am in a tight spot right now with getting the A from a medical school. I have had three interviews. One was way back in September at my in state school and they specifically said they wait to give out 80% of admissions decisions until late April. I interviewed at two other schools, one that I have close ties with and has historically had a very high post interview acceptance rate, and the other at a school I have pretty much no ties with. I know people are not the best judges of their own interview skills but I think that overall my interviews went very well. I have yet to hear back from the third school but I was put on the waitlist for the second school that I have strong ties with. They said they were being more conservative with acceptances this year (because they over accepted last year) and I interviewed late in the cycle so it makes sense. Again, I know it could have just been my interview, but I think because they don't have many acceptance spots left, they waitlisted me for yield protection reasons. I have a MCAT 5 points higher than their median and a GPA that is about 0.2 points higher. I think they don't want to give me a spot and "waste" it because in their eyes I might just go to a higher stats school.


I would love to attend this school but my in state school is my first choice. I know I can send a letter of intent to my second choice but I don't want to do that now and then a month later hear from my top choice and have to turn them down. I am also afraid that if I wait until late April and get rejected from my top choice, it will be too late to send a letter of intent to my second. Its rough timing and I am not quite sure what the best action is right now at this point. Is there something slightly below a letter of intent that pretty much says "I loved the school and would highly consider going here if accepted"?

Thanks for reading all of that.
A) Make sure the school you send LOI accepts such things.
B) Unless you're a Harvard/Stanford caliber candidate, just because you have an accept at once school doesn't mean you're more of a catch.
Your chances are best with your state school
C) No school is going to waste an interview spot on someone they think will go elsewhere.
D) Patient is a virtue; wait until end of April.
E) Be at peace with the idea that you might end up only at your current accept school. If not, then dump them now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

bananafish94

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
3,425
12,912
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Is there something slightly below a letter of intent that pretty much says "I loved the school and would highly consider going here if accepted"?
I would definitely not do this, I think there's a strong chance they would interpret it as a lack of interest and would know that they're a backup.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.