where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goguryo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd post to elicit some advice on what I should do with my career. I have just been accepted to USC's school of social work for their 3 year part time MSW program. I still have 2 years to decide on my concentration, but I wanted to do mental health because I was thinking about becoming licensed in the future.

The tricky part is that I have an MPH in infectious diseases already. Now it seems like two completely different fields, but there are ways to tie them together (that is, mental health social work and public health infectious diseases).

I was wondering if anyone here has a similar experience of wanting to utilize their previous training and not just "throw it away." I mean, I have had some good experiences from using my MPH, such as working for the NIH and doing laboratory research, but it seems unless I concentrate in Community Planning or general Health for my MSW, I won't have too much overlap.

Any ideas on what field I could go into after completing an MSW in mental health? Or should I reconsider my MSW concentration....

I was also thinking about possibly applying for a Ph.D. in the future, what field should I do that in?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.