Quantcast

where to live at UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stilts

Stilts
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'll be going to UMDNJ in the fall and I'm trying to figure out where to live. How is the dorm they just built on Market St? Any suggestions about good appartments in Newark or in nearby towns would be helpfull. Thanks.

dreamerofdmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I'm a MBS student at UMDNJ right now.. I live in the housing on 180 west market street... it's a little expensive... 975 for studio, 860 for a two bedroom... plus utilities. But it's safe and super convenient. An alternative if you want to save some money is to life in the Oranges... west orange or east orange. Bloomfield is also an option. If you want safety to come home at late hours and all that, try to stay about 5 miles away from the newark itself. Hope that helps!

dr bojangles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes, the market st housing is pretty convenient, and more safe than living elsewhere in newark. remember, its a city, so take the school apartments with a grain of salt (e.g. homeless people walk by, i think there was a shooting across the street). its also relatively expensive. if you have the option, live off campus. try west orange, bloomfield, montclair, hoboken. the latter 2 are also more fun (more young professionals, nightlife, etc.). good luck.

Stilts

Stilts
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm farmiliar with the rents in the market st. building, but what do people tend to pay for something like a one bedroom in the surrounding towns like bloomfield or montclair? Thanks.

LIer2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Society Hill, which is a neighborhood just across the street from the school. People here pay between 500 to 800 for a room, and it's pretty nice.
Some nearby neighborhoods include Clifton, West Orange, Bloomfield, Livingstone, etc., and the rent really varies according to what kind of a place you get. But in general, you should be able to get a one bedroom for about 800 a month.

dentwannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
you can live in harrison or jersey city and do a 10 minute commute to newark penn station, from there i believe another 10 min. for the shuttle. to dental school area.