Where to present research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangoroxmysox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing undergrad research in microbiology/molecular biology since fall of 2007 and have previously done a poster presentation at a regional undergrad conference. I'm ecstatic about two other opportunities to present: one is at a regional undergrad conference for bio research, and another is at a national conference (general meeting for American Society of Microbiology), but the problem is that I must pick one. The undergrad conference is within driving distance and lasts one day. I can do a poster or oral presentation (which should I choose?), I would be the first author on the abstract, and I would be the sole presenter. The national conference is 2,000 miles away and I would be co-presenting a poster with a grad student (I am the third author on the abstract). It lasts five days, meaning that I would miss three days of class (including a lab). I also need to apply for additional travel grants to attend the national conference, because the small grant I currently have is not enough. Which is more beneficial to me, and should I therefore present at? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

National, dream big man !

I would go for the national conference for a few reasons:

1. Applying/receiving additional grant money to go to a national conference will be a good "EC" on your application

2. The experience will be INCREDIBLY rewarding

Having been to a national conference as an undergrad I can say it was one of the highlights of my undergraduate experience. It was long, exhausting but I learned so much and was exposed to an intense variety of subjects (It was a model organism themed meeting, C. elegans to be specific, so it covered all topics studied on the organism...well most). Also, the ability to interact with other grad students/PhDs/Post-docs will be really fun as well. I remember when I attended most people didn't even realize I was an undergrad until they told me (due to the quality of the work and the way I presented myself)...that was INCREDIBLY satisfying.

Anyway, from personal experience I can say a national conference is a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

Oh and I don't know if this is unique to the International C. elegans Meeting but we had some great parties as well :) (Lots of beer every night...the last night was CRAZY fun and everyone was trading name tags...I got some post-doc's from the midwest)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing undergrad research in microbiology/molecular biology since fall of 2007 and have previously done a poster presentation at a regional undergrad conference. I'm ecstatic about two other opportunities to present: one is at a regional undergrad conference for bio research, and another is at a national conference (general meeting for American Society of Microbiology), but the problem is that I must pick one. The undergrad conference is within driving distance and lasts one day. I can do a poster or oral presentation (which should I choose?), I would be the first author on the abstract, and I would be the sole presenter. The national conference is 2,000 miles away and I would be co-presenting a poster with a grad student (I am the third author on the abstract). It lasts five days, meaning that I would miss three days of class (including a lab). I also need to apply for additional travel grants to attend the national conference, because the small grant I currently have is not enough. Which is more beneficial to me, and should I therefore present at? Thanks! :)
National, definitely! The conference name might actually be recognizable to someone reading your application and I would think you'd have more of an opportunity to learn there. If you can't get additional grants you can always just fall back on the undergrad conference.

Any place that will listen.

Thanks for the input :oops: I have a couple more questions if you don't mind me asking: do adcoms look at where you present, or just the fact that you presented (and which author you are...first, second, etc.)? Also, does an oral presentation carry more weight than a poster presentation? Thanks again!

Thanks for the input :oops: I have a couple more questions if you don't mind me asking: do adcoms look at where you present, or just the fact that you presented (and which author you are...first, second, etc.)? Also, does an oral presentation carry more weight than a poster presentation? Thanks again!
In the research world an oral presentation carries more weight than a poster, but whether or not the conference is national or regional would also matter...I'd imagine the same would hold true in med school admissions.

National!

I'm going to the ASM conference in May in Philadelphia...I assume it's the same one you are going to.

my understanding is that those undergrad conferences are basically a free for all where they don't really have strict criteria for accepting research to be presented whereas the national conference (more of a grown-up conference) does. The national conference would also be a much better chance to learn more about your field.

I'm not clear on why you must choose between them though?

national > regional

oral > poster

and yes, from my experience, i think some adcoms do pay attention to where you present. at one of my interviews, my interviewer asked me specifically about a presentation i gave at a certain national conference, topic that i presented on, audience reaction and everything.