Where to rotate in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggmk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'd like your opinion on where is a good place to do an EM elective in NYC. My goal is not necessarily trying to audition for the program, but is to also to experience the ER enviornment in an urban area like NYC and also to learn as much as I could. Therefore I want to know which program has attendings that are approachable and love to teach and the enviornment is conducive to teaching and learning for a medical student.

I've heard the Lincoln is good for med students with good attendings? how about St. Lukes, Beth Israel, Kings, other programs not listed here?

Where did you have a great experience rotating at? Your opinoin will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

roja just graduated from St. Lukes if you want to PM her. I forgot where she is an attending/fellow now but she could probably give you info on that as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an away rotation at Kings County 2 years ago. It was great. Very busy and you can see everything. It is a crazy place. The attendings for the most part will teach and enjoy teaching however with the volume of patients their time during a shift is limited. It is a good experiance to see if a high volume county ED is a place for you. There are minimal support services, if you want labs you draw them yourself, if your patient needs an xray you take them and bring them back, etc. During the peak season for those that are interested in EM (June-August) there is some competion from their students to work with the well known attendings, this can be difficult for visiting students to work with the same attending so they know you well enough to write a good letter. Overall I had a great time and did many proceedures and got a great letter. Good luck. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions. :laugh:

Ive been wanting to do an away in NYC as well. For anybody who didnt live on the East Coast who did an away there, how did you go about housing and did you go broke doing it? Looks like im gonna have to pay ~$500 for malpractice alone since my medical school has very low coverage.

sorry didnt mean to hijak your thread, but here is an old thread regarding NYC rotations if you hadn't seen it already

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=148765&highlight=kings

StudentDoc327 said:
Ive been wanting to do an away in NYC as well. For anybody who didnt live on the East Coast who did an away there, how did you go about housing and did you go broke doing it? Looks like im gonna have to pay ~$500 for malpractice alone since my medical school has very low coverage.

sorry didnt mean to hijak your thread, but here is an old threads regarding NYC rotations if you hadn't seen it already

haha thanks a lot I didn't see that thread before. It's very informative. thanks again.

StudentDoc327 said:

sorry didnt mean to hijak your thread, but here is an old thread regarding NYC rotations if you hadn't seen it already

I'm at Lincoln. Get in touch with Rita the coordintator if your interested in a rotation and maybe she can set you up with some housing. Students in the past have been able to secure 1-2 months housing at the doorms on the Upper East Side next to Met for very cheap. Most of these NY programs have had a number of out of state/country/world whatever apps come through and have some sort of resources to give you if you ask. Good Luck and get some rest. If your coming to the south bronx you'll need it.

yup. Feel free to PM me.

and point in fact, I am doing my fellowship at SLR so I might be one of your attendings.. mwuahahah

totalbodypain said:
I'm at Lincoln. Get in touch with Rita the coordintator if your interested in a rotation and maybe she can set you up with some housing. Students in the past have been able to secure 1-2 months housing at the doorms on the Upper East Side next to Met for very cheap. Most of these NY programs have had a number of out of state/country/world whatever apps come through and have some sort of resources to give you if you ask. Good Luck and get some rest. If your coming to the south bronx you'll need it.

Cool, cheaper housing :) thanks a lot for this hint.

on a side note, how long(in minutes) and how safe is the walk from the subway station to Lincoln's? On the website it says it's a block, but a block could be very different in different towns. Also wondering if day/night changes the safety issue on that block and in the surrounding area.

thanks.

Hi - I have spent some time at Lincoln, although only in the daylight. It is literally 1 block, as they say, but it is somewhat of a long block that involves crossing over the train tracks. It is a pretty busy area, and I never felt uncomfortable there during the day. Not sure how it would be at night, and I wouldn't go too far in the other direction, away from the subway. But all in all, the Bronx gets a worse reputation than it deserves. Just be smart about it.