Where to signal (low tier applicant)

Started by kgamon8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kgamon8

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! Applying to psych (stats below). I moved to the midwest at 17 and did undergrad and med school at my state school. I like my city but would love to go somewhere more diverse. My interests are in SPMI and first-episode. I would like a strong inpatient and consult experience as I see myself doing some inpatient work. I am using two signals on reach out-of-region programs and plan on 3 for the midwest. I would really like to know if I should signal community programs. Interested in Chicago but nervous about small class size at Advocate

US MD mid/low tier
Step 1: 204
Step 2: 251
Preclinical: 3rd/4th quartile
Clinical: H in psych HP in family med (rest pass), 4th year Honors in IM Sub-I, inpatient psych Sub I, CAP, and Geri
Research: undergrad biochem research 4th author pub lol, 3rd author in psych review paper, submitted case report, presenting poster at APA next month
Extracurricular: decent amount of service, involved with DEI, GHHS
Letters: 1 IM, 3 psych. Not sure how personal they willl be unfortunately
Red flags: my Step 1: I am still not sure if I should address this on my supplemental or main application. I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism but I don't want to blame this.

On residency explorer, I am in the bottom 25% of most schools. For Rush I am below all accepted residents.
 
Last edited:
Hi all! Applying to psych (stats below). I moved to the midwest at 17 and did undergrad and med school at my state school. I like my city but would love to go somewhere more diverse. My interests are in SPMI and first-episode. I would like a strong inpatient and consult experience as I see myself doing some inpatient work. I am using two signals on reach out-of-region programs and plan on 3 for the midwest. I would really like to know if I should signal community programs. Interested in Chicago but nervous about small class size at Advocate

US MD mid/low tier
Step 1: 204
Step 2: 251
Preclinical: 3rd/4th quartile
Clinical: H in psych HP in family med (rest pass), 4th year Honors in IM Sub-I, inpatient psych Sub I, CAP, and Geri
Research: undergrad biochem research 4th author pub lol, 3rd author in psych review paper, submitted case report, presenting poster at APA next month
Extracurricular: decent amount of service, involved with DEI, GHHS
Letters: 1 IM, 3 psych. Not sure how personal they willl be unfortunately
Red flags: my Step 1: I am still not sure if I should address this on my supplemental or main application. I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism but I don't want to blame this.

On residency explorer, I am in the bottom 25% of most schools. For Rush I am below all accepted residents.

Residency explorer is mildly reliable. I got interviews at 2 programs that said they didn't interview people with Level 1/2 scores as low as mine. Leave the Step 1 score be. Have an explanation in case they ask about it and a basic plan on how you'll study for Step 3. In psych the concern with low board scores is ability to past Step 3, you did fine on Step 2 so less likely to be a major issue.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your step 1 is fine. If you're Midwest applying Midwest they care more about you and your psych credentials than your step score.
 
Not sure the landscape now. But I can tell you I matched at my top program in the midwest. Your scores and CV was better than mine. Good luck. Have confidence.

From what I have heard from new residents is to apply broadly! Good luck!