Where to start from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supermax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what are the requirements to get into Navy Dental Corps.

Members don't see this ad.

that will about qualify you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances of getting accepted to Dental school?

Hi, I'm on the Navy HPSP for dental school. The requirements are pretty simple, you just need to be accepted to dental school and have decent stats, any GPA in the 3's will do, an okay DAT should get you in. Then you'll do the application, its a relatively long process, you have to fill out a lot of forms and get interviewed. If you pass everything, you're in. You won't have a very hard time getting in though, the Navy really needs people now. ;)

sorry for some of the quick and helpless replies...check through the boards on the dental side of the house for guidance about getting into dental school and bucky laid out the basics for the HPSP program. maybe a good place for you to start is to give some background, if you want some help judging your chances for school. once you get into school, getting the scholarship is almost as simple as being a warm body. you got a good resource here on the military dentistry board, make use of it.

There are plenty of people who come here to set up residency because this is the country they want as their country. They have green cards, so they are US residents. In their eyes, this is their country, but they are not eligible to become an officer in the US military.

Yeah, we're just splitting hairs. Good info though.

Any other requirements:
3.0+ GPA
Average DAT's score
US Citizen

Where are the dental schools' located?
How many years you have to serve after getting your doctorate degree?

Any other requirements:
3.0+ GPA
Average DAT's score
US Citizen

Where are the dental schools' located?
How many years you have to serve after getting your doctorate degree?

You can attend any dental school in the U.S. and they military will pay for your tuition, books, lab fees, living stipend, etc..

You must serve one year for every year they give you money....since dental school is 4 years, you owe them 4 years of active duty in return.....after the first 4 years of active duty, you have the option of going on IR (inactive reserve). Once you go on IR, you are basically a citizen again, except for the fact that you could be called back on to active duty if they desperately need you.....From what I hear, this is not very likely in any of the branches, but Army would probably would be the first to do so, followed by the Navy, and then the Air Force...

Is there any sort of physical and mental training you go through before attending the dental school?

Is there any sort of physical and mental training you go through before attending the dental school?

A doctor's physical before dental school through MEPS and that should be it really.

I have two other questions:

1. How is the learning environment look like?
2. Do you called to go to war during studying year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two other questions:

1. How is the learning environment look like?
2. Do you called to go to war during studying year?

could we get this in a little better syntax? i dont really understand what you are asking for the first question...are you asking if you get treated differently in dental school if you are an HPSP or HSCP recipient or what the learning environment is once you go active duty?

as for the second question (at least as i think i understand it): no. the military is paying for you to go to dental school so that you can fill a very much needed dental billet once you graduate. they have no incentive to pull you out of school; what would you be qualified to do? dentistry? nope, you have graduated yet. line officer? that would mean a trip to OCS. enlisted? doubtful.

Last edited:
It could present a very large problem as every applicant must be interviewed. If you can't communicate easily with your patients, that is another problem that will eventually need to be addressed.

Last edited:
the wikipedia cut and paste is hilarious...congrats, you are in high cotton.

while you are correct that poor grammar and poor English cannot keep you out of dental school, it sure will not make your life any easier. past mere studying, you will have a giant vocabulary of unfamiliar terms come your way, patients to communicate with, clinic notes to write (so other providers know what you've done, so not in your own shorthand), scripts and lab orders to write...if you can't communicate clearly with your lab, your job becomes much more difficult...

aside from school, the military runs on English, but from looking at our manning situation, im sure you can find a scholarship and an active duty billet to fill.

One question I have about a military scholarship is what if the branch of service you are interested in does not have a base near the school that one was accepted to? Would you have the option of going a location of your choosing to meet with a recruiter and train?

I know that with programs such as ROTC, each school offers its own branch office on campus. Does this also apply to military scholarships?

Last edited:
the race card already!? man, you went there too early. at the vary least, you got to wait until we stop trying to help you and just start ripping on you personally. thanks for making me aware that i apparently "don't want anyone beside your race to be successful in any career'. ill work on that.

The issue of racism doesn't really play out here. One of the biggest factors that come into play during the dental school application is your ability to communicate effectively with people. It doesn't matter if you are a native English speaker or not. The whole purpose of the interview is to gauge your handle on the English language and if you can't talk to people, your chances of getting accepted diminish.

You also forgot to mention that if you're as ignorant as supermax, you'll probably not get into dental school - cut and paste a wikipedia on indian americans - LAME! :p