Where to start in personal statement introduction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1063612

I am having trouble putting together an introduction paragraph for my PS as I don't know where in my life I should start or how I should construct the paragraph in general. I have seen a lot of people say that the intro should show the reader who you are as a person but how do you show who you are as a person while keeping it in the context of why medicine? Although I think I have a good overall story that answers why I chose medicine, I feel like I have a lot of other interests and experiences outside of medicine that have built me into the person I am today.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having trouble putting together an introduction paragraph for my PS as I don't know where in my life I should start or how I should construct the paragraph in general. I have seen a lot of people say that the intro should show the reader who you are as a person but how do you show who you are as a person while keeping it in the context of why medicine? Although I think I have a good overall story that answers why I chose medicine, I feel like I have a lot of other interests and experiences outside of medicine that have built me into the person I am today.
If you have something that made you interested in medicine as a kid/ teenager you can start there. I pretty much started mine that way by explaining how the circumstantial that happened to me as a kid started my interest in helping people and went from there

Reactions: 1 user
1. There is no rule about how to tell your story (it doesn't have to be chronological, although that may be easiest).
2. You don't have to have a lifetime interest in medicine--many nontraditional applicants developed their interest in adulthood.
3. It is important to convey "why medicine". Other interests outside medicine may be addressed in secondary essays.

Reactions: 2 users
1. There is no rule about how to tell your story (it doesn't have to be chronological, although that may be easiest).
2. You don't have to have a lifetime interest in medicine--many nontraditional applicants developed their interest in adulthood.
3. It is important to convey "why medicine". Other interests outside medicine may be addressed in secondary essays.
To add to my learned colleague's wise words, your PS should also convey "Who am I?"

I suggest talking out your thoughts into your phone's voice recorder, then transcribing that into text. Then edit.

Reactions: 3 users