Where to start with 4.0 / 523

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotAProctologist

Reaction score
4.0 cGPA/sGPA
523 MCAT
FL resident (UF)
White Male

Research: 750 hrs (540 hrs as an intern in final undergrad semester, rest as volunteer). This was hands-on cardiovascular research with elderly men/postmenopausal women. I believe it should be counted as clinical experience. No pubs/posters.

Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hrs working for suicide hotline as both phone volunteer and later as a trainer

~ 75 hrs as a mentor to students in low SES elementary schools

Shadowing: (40 in surgery OR & 20 in ER)

VP of preprofessional fraternity (essentially a health & fitness club) related to my major. Main role was to organize service events.

Won award for phone volunteer of the year at my local branch of suicide hotline/crisis center.

Aside from all of the med schools in Florida, I’m not sure where to start with the rest of my school list. Are T20s a possibility or should I apply more broadly?

Members don't see this ad.

You will really need to emphasize your clinical research experience as clinical and explain your role, because otherwise you only have some shadowing.

Other than that I think all your Florida schools plus 10-15 other schools should do the trick. Top 20s are definitely within reach but make sure to have mid tiers too.

Maybe start with geographical preference and then branch out.

As long as you apply to ALL of your Florida MD schools you can add any OOS schools that appeal to you. Definitely include Washington University (almost a guaranteed interview with your stats).