Where to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always been very involved with animals. After graduating high school i havent really been able to figure out what i really wanted to do. I have finally decided on wanting to work with animals. I am in Fort Lauderdale Florida and cant seem to find out where to start for getting certified as a Vet Tech or Animal Health Tech. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

Miami Dade college has a vet tech program. Best of luck!

Since you are on a pre-vet forum, I just wanted to make sure you know that if you are interested in being a veterinarian, you don't necessarily start by becoming an LVT. (Not saying that is the case, but it seems to be a common point of confusion, so I just want to mention it just in case.)

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say "work with animals" is that exactly what you mean? or do you mean your long time goal is to become a veterinarian? Are you planning on going to college?

Check with the community colleges in your area. I know that mine offeres a vet tech program. This may be a cheaper alternative to a university or other college. I think I remember looking at getting the degree online as well.
Best of Luck!!:luck:

If you are able to do so (and I know finances and other obstacles can make this difficult for some people) I would suggest shadowing and volunteering with animal professionals in a variety of fields to get a feel for what you enjoy doing. It would be a real setback if dove into a vet tech program and then realized you don't like the medical side of animal care... the same goes for any training or degree program that's a major investment. There are a wide variety of animal jobs out there, and chances are that some will be a better match for your talents, preferences, and lifestyle than others. Aside from vet and vet tech work, there's training, breeding, grooming, husbandry, and research, to name a few -and each of these areas has many many different types of positions. I would suggest doing some research, talking to people from different animal professions, then getting hands-on experience in areas that interest you. Once you have a good idea of what opportunities are out there and what you would do well in and enjoy committing to, going for the costly education (if applicable) is a good investment.

If you have already done all that (or those suggestions just aren't your style, which is fine too), congratulations and please disregard the unsolicited advice :)