Where to withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kraazy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I rather unexpectedly got more interview invites for January lately, and as much as I would like to visit every school and get a feel for it, I feel like I'm going to have to make some decisions earlier than expected. I have a decent idea of where I should withdraw, but I would appreciate any feedback that you guys have (especially if you've visited the schools in question).

So I am applying for MSTP in infectious disease epidemiology, and have an acceptance at Michigan already.

I have "pending" invites from UCSD, Penn, Hopkins, UNC, and Washington, and I think I'll have to withdraw to at least one, preferably two.
Any thoughts? Please?

Members don't see this ad.

So I rather unexpectedly got more interview invites for January lately, and as much as I would like to visit every school and get a feel for it, I feel like I'm going to have to make some decisions earlier than expected. I have a decent idea of where I should withdraw, but I would appreciate any feedback that you guys have (especially if you've visited the schools in question).

So I am applying for MSTP in infectious disease epidemiology, and have an acceptance at Michigan already.

I have "pending" invites from UCSD, Penn, Hopkins, UNC, and Washington, and I think I'll have to withdraw to at least one, preferably two.
Any thoughts? Please?

You're obviously a competitive applicant - just weigh where you're more interested and your chances of getting accepted...

you may also be biased depending on area of the country

just from a personal level - don't withdraw from UCSD (perhaps one you were thinking about?) since it does have amazing research (Salk, Scripps, etc.) and the weather can't be beat

Thats a nice situation. I vote to withdraw from UCSD and Penn (because I applied and haven't heard from them yet :D.

JK, maybe this is where that nebulous "gut feeling" factor comes in.

Any thoughts? Please?

Members don't see this ad :)

Any thoughts? Please?
All of those programs are good. I assume they all offer a PhD in your research interest. So, do you have a thought about where you'd like to be geographically? I can't really think of any other good way to break the tie considering that finances won't be a consideration for you and you're pretty much from the center of the country anyway.

All of those programs are good. I assume they all offer a PhD in your research interest. So, do you have a thought about where you'd like to be geographically? I can't really think of any other good way to break the tie considering that finances won't be a consideration for you and you're pretty much from the center of the country anyway.

Well, I definitely won't withdraw from Penn since they have one of the better integrated MSTPs in Epi. Hopkins just has a ridiculous Epi dept, especially in infectious disease, and even though I'm ambivalent about Baltimore, I feel like it's worth a try. Plus, I like the east coast.

Now for the cutting block:
Washington: great infectious disease epi, the downside would be living in Seattle for ~8 yrs. Then again I've never been there so I don't know if I might like it.
UNC: Again, amazing infectious disease epi, the downside would be living in Chapel Hill (I'm definitely more of a city person). But again, I feel like maybe it would grow on me if I actually go visit.
UCSD: I would love, love, love to give Cali a chance, but the research opportunities (esp. choice of faculty mentors) don't seem to stack up to Michigan's. I'm still reluctant to let it go and keep telling myself that there will be way better research opportunities once I'm there than what is posted on the website. Also not sure if I would like the super traditional med curriculum, and I hear that the MSTP is not as integrated as other programs, which leads to longer completion time.

I guess you can see where I'm going. I just need some validation :oops:.

Well, I definitely won't withdraw from Penn since they have one of the better integrated MSTPs in Epi. Hopkins just has a ridiculous Epi dept, especially in infectious disease, and even though I'm ambivalent about Baltimore, I feel like it's worth a try. Plus, I like the east coast.

Washington: great infectious disease epi, the downside would be living in Seattle for ~8 yrs. Then again I've never been there so I don't know if I might like it.
UNC: Again, amazing infectious disease epi, the downside would be living in Chapel Hill (I'm definitely more of a city person). But again, I feel like maybe it would grow on me if I actually go visit.
UCSD: I would love, love, love to give Cali a chance, but the research opportunities (esp. choice of faculty mentors) don't seem to stack up to Michigan's. I'm still reluctant to let it go and keep telling myself that there will be way better research opportunities once I'm there than what is posted on the website. Also not sure if I would like the super traditional med curriculum, and I hear that the MSTP is not as integrated as other programs, which leads to longer completion time.

It's obvious

withdraw from UNC and UCSD - I know UCSD is super strong in cancer research but it's not strong in everything....

And depending on yourself, it sounds like you may want to withdraw from UW as well...

Well look at the thread called i made a terrible mistake or something along those lines. Guy picked a school not strong in his research and now regrets it. Don't pick UCSD over another program based on location alone if UCSD doesnt have a lab that would make you happy. You will be busy with school and research as an MSTP student, so pick someplace you would enjoy being busy at. However, if you absolutely hate a town that a great program is in, that should definitely be taken into account as you will be there for at least 7 years of your life.

Cliff notes: Drop UCSD if you like other programs more

don't go to UW, UNC, UCSD. *you've already been accepted!* if you like michigan's program, then cancel interviews as schools that you aren't as interested in. be happy that you've been accepted early and just interview at schools that have the potential to blow UM away in your area of interest.

I would give Seattle a chance. Personally, it is my favorite city in the US and I hope to end up there eventually. Most people I know who have visited LOVED it there.

Actually, yeah, I don't believe I have ever heard much criticism of Seattle from anyone that actually likes cities. That's definitely why my UW rejection hurt so much--it's an incredible place.

So if you don't like the program, cancel UW, but don't cancel it cuz you're afraid Seattle will suck.

Actually, yeah, I don't believe I have ever heard much criticism of Seattle from anyone that actually likes cities. That's definitely why my UW rejection hurt so much--it's an incredible place.

So if you don't like the program, cancel UW, but don't cancel it cuz you're afraid Seattle will suck.

Unless you don't like gray weather or rain...

Unless you don't like gray weather or rain...

I never minded the rain that much. It's not as bad as people think. I prefer rain and gray to snow/ice and gray. (I'm in Iowa and we have a ton ice, but on the plus side classes are canceled!)

I guess. Other places in the country rain as much (New Haven) but just aren't publicized as such. I forget to think about weather a lot though.

Anyway, back to original question...

It's not necessarily amount of rain in Seattle. Many cities on the east coast get just as much rain. The weather systems often drop all their rain in the Olympics before getting to Seattle, so it's often drizzle or petered out by the time it gets there. It's about the number of cloudy days.

http://www.worldfactsandfigures.com/weatherfacts/numbersunny_city_desc.php

Seattle airport only has 58 days that are sunny. Still I get the idea. Pittsburgh is at 59. Cleveland at 66. So, this isn't limited to just Seattle.

New York (I imagine similar to New Haven) is at 107.

If I were you, I'd drop UCSD since they are not strong in your research area, and attend the others since it sounds like they all are. Chapel Hill is *not* the sticks. :laugh: It may seem like a lot of work and effort to attend four interviews after you're already accepted to an admittedly awesome program, but it's worth it just so you don't wind up asking yourself "what if" for the next eight years. Two years ago when I applied, I wound up attending 17 interviews, and the school I ended up at was one of the last ones I visited (#15). Now I will readily admit that I'm more OCD than most ( :p ). That being said, I was invited on two other interviews, and the one single thing I regret about my app year was not attending one of those two declined invites. I had an opportunity to visit that school last summer, and it's fabulous. I don't know if I would have chosen that school over the one I'm at now, but the point is that I never even gave myself the opportunity to see if I liked it better, and that's what I regret.

Basically, you have no way to judge one school or city against another unless you go there and see them for yourself. You talk about not wanting to be in a small town, but nice as it is for a college town, Ann Arbor isn't exactly a city either! If you think there is any chance you might want to go some school, you owe it to yourself to make the most informed decision you can. Go there, see what it's like, and if you don't like it better than U Mich, you can always withdraw. Obviously, you have to be realistic in terms of time and money, but you didn't mention either time or money as being the limiting factor in your decision to drop some interviews. I can completely sympathize if that is the issue here; if you can't afford to attend all the interviews, you'll have to cut some. But don't give up invites to schools you might realistically want to attend just because it's such a pain to go on so many trips and you want to just get the process over and done with.

If I were you, I'd drop UCSD since they are not strong in your research area, and attend the others since it sounds like they all are. Chapel Hill is *not* the sticks. :laugh: It may seem like a lot of work and effort to attend four interviews after you're already accepted to an admittedly awesome program, but it's worth it just so you don't wind up asking yourself "what if" for the next eight years. Two years ago when I applied, I wound up attending 17 interviews, and the school I ended up at was one of the last ones I visited (#15). Now I will readily admit that I'm more OCD than most ( :p ). That being said, I was invited on two other interviews, and the one single thing I regret about my app year was not attending one of those two declined invites. I had an opportunity to visit that school last summer, and it's fabulous. I don't know if I would have chosen that school over the one I'm at now, but the point is that I never even gave myself the opportunity to see if I liked it better, and that's what I regret.

Basically, you have no way to judge one school or city against another unless you go there and see them for yourself. You talk about not wanting to be in a small town, but nice as it is for a college town, Ann Arbor isn't exactly a city either! If you think there is any chance you might want to go some school, you owe it to yourself to make the most informed decision you can. Go there, see what it's like, and if you don't like it better than U Mich, you can always withdraw. Obviously, you have to be realistic in terms of time and money, but you didn't mention either time or money as being the limiting factor in your decision to drop some interviews. I can completely sympathize if that is the issue here; if you can't afford to attend all the interviews, you'll have to cut some. But don't give up invites to schools you might realistically want to attend just because it's such a pain to go on so many trips and you want to just get the process over and done with.

Ah, the voice of reason... Well the limiting factor is really time (esp. time taken away from work) but I really would like to visit as many schools as possible to make an informed decision. I've pretty much made up my mind to withdraw from UCSD by now. I'll probably stick with UNC and UWash.
Thanks for all the advice (and weather tidbits)!

Ah, the voice of reason... Well the limiting factor is really time (esp. time taken away from work) but I really would like to visit as many schools as possible to make an informed decision. I've pretty much made up my mind to withdraw from UCSD by now. I'll probably stick with UNC and UWash.
Thanks for all the advice (and weather tidbits)!
It's not always easy to look at the long term when you're neck-deep in the app process. But in the end, the time you spend to attend four interviews is going to be negligible compared to the enormity of the investment of time (and blood, sweat and tears!) you are about to make to earn your MD/PhD. You have a very long road ahead of you, so make it the best one it can be. :luck: to you. :)

Any thoughts? Please?

Just a comment about Hopkins - one of the girls from my lab went to Hopkins for her PhD in a biohysics lab (I'm not sure exactly which one because I did not look at Hopkins myself). Anyway, long story short, she got incredibly sick her first semester there and they were very unhelpful. They essentially treated her like she was faking. Everyone at my undergrad was just completely in shock at the poor treatment she received and apparently they have all been talking about how we are prepped for schools (in that at my undergrad the profs and admins are very understanding when someone is ill or there are personal problems, but apparently that doesn't fly elsewhere).

It's not always easy to look at the long term when you're neck-deep in the app process. But in the end, the time you spend to attend four interviews is going to be negligible compared to the enormity of the investment of time (and blood, sweat and tears!) you are about to make to earn your MD/PhD. You have a very long road ahead of you, so make it the best one it can be. :luck: to you. :)

Thanks for the advice! I ended up withdrawing from UCSD but went to both UNC and UW, and they turned out to be among my favorite schools!