where to work during the application year?!?! please help new yorkers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akanene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on choosing one of the most expensive cities to live in. You might not have the luxury of being picky about what job you get if you are strapped for cash.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look for clinical research positions at the university hospitals. In NYC you have tons of them (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, AECOM, Mt. Sinai, etc.) If you know people who go to any of these schools, ask them for help finding people who do clinical research. Go to the hospital or school website and search under employment listings to see what's available.

Unfortunately these things are difficult to find unless you have connections. I've been looking for a job for over 3 months and I just had my first interview Friday, with another scheduled for this Thursday. You have to be persistant. And use whatever connections you have! My interview on Friday was only possible because I bugged my friend's father to help me. Use networking through your undergrad, too, if possible.

akanene said:
hey all... so i just moved back from south america and will be living in new york city starting next week while i apply to medical school. until i find a job i will be temping to earn money, but wanted any advice on where i could get a job, preferably in the healthcare field and also something that would be good paying (i have volunteered for a year and then worked in SA where the salaries are considerably lower and need enough $$ to pay back loans and pay for this oh-so-expensive application). ive done a lot of job searches, but ive found talking to what other people have done has been the most helpful. any and all thoughts would be appreicated! Thanks.
Hi. I'm currently working as a research tech at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. They always have job openings and like to hire new graduates. If you don't have enough research experience, there are other jobs that may give you clinical experience. These include research study assistant, session assistant, and physician office assistant. Depending on the department, study, or physician, you can get some intensive patient contact. At any rate, below is a link to the job search site of MSKCC. You have to register to do a job search, which is just an email and password. NY is expensive (and I moved from San Francisco, which is already expensive!), but you can manage to find a cheap place to live in the outer burroughs, and Sloan-Kettering pay is competitive. Check it out and good luck!!!

http://www.mskcc.org/jobsearch/index.cfm

I worked at the Metopolitan Museum of Art. They could pay more, but they could not provide a better work environment. Plus medical schools were interested in what it was like to work in the art world.

thanks so much for the advice everyone... thats really interesting about working at a museum and ive actually thought about doing something totally unrelated to medicine, but not sure how it would look to adcoms.. anyone else to totally unrelated jobs while applying??

You could also consider checking idealist.org under their healthcare section or volunteering at a health center in order to make connections and get a job there.

If you can't find anything directly medically related, consider applying to admin/mgmt. positions (depending on your qualifications) at non-profits dedicated to medicine. You might be able to make useful connections. Example: The Brain Trauma Foundation, which spreads awareness about how to treat traumatic brain injury. Non-profits frequently have board members or presidents with high level connections. It's something worth thinking about at least.

akanene said:
hey all... so i just moved back from south america and will be living in new york city starting next week while i apply to medical school. until i find a job i will be temping to earn money, but wanted any advice on where i could get a job, preferably in the healthcare field and also something that would be good paying (i have volunteered for a year and then worked in SA where the salaries are considerably lower and need enough $$ to pay back loans and pay for this oh-so-expensive application). ive done a lot of job searches, but ive found talking to what other people have done has been the most helpful. any and all thoughts would be appreicated! Thanks.
new york, geez are you kidding, merrill lynch or morgan stanley of course. im sure they finance something healthcare related, or you could just make that part up.

Shredder said:
new york, geez are you kidding, merrill lynch or morgan stanley of course. im sure they finance something healthcare related, or you could just make that part up.

Aw good ol' Meryll Lynch.......I got a cousin or two that work there. Great jobs they have too. :laugh: :laugh:

Shredder,

You know who you should look up?? Dr. Kiran Patel in Tampa. He would be your new hero. The man is a cardiologist that is worth like half a billion dollars by a combo of both his practice, his wife's practice as a pediatrician, and more importantly the family owned HMO business they created and sold for 600 million dollars. They now own another HMO company and also have other family members as partners in the business. They've been known to donate a lot of money to USF and have created a couple of schools/Hospitals in India and South Africa, as well as the Charter elementary school on USF campus.