Where / when do the NBME practice exams fall into the mix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billroth_III

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2nd year here who is planning to take STEP & COMLEX. My school has obviously given us several q-banks to work through and I also have already began some of UWORLD since I know boards is going to be rough for me.

Where do these NBME practice fall into the mix? Sorry but I don't know much about them and when you take them.

Thanks SDN

Members don't see this ad.

UWorld is king/queen.

NBME practice tests were really only helpful for me to feel confident that I would hit my school's "passing" mark (>10th percentile).

Edit: Thought you meant the shelf exams. Assuming you mean Step 1 / COMLEX I, I started with an NBME for baseline, and then did one a week during dedicated in addition to UWSA 1 / 2.

My UWSA avg was basically spot on for Step score.

Nbme exams are there to piss you off and scare you into working harder. Uworld is most important.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2nd year here who is planning to take STEP & COMLEX. My school has obviously given us several q-banks to work through and I also have already began some of UWORLD since I know boards is going to be rough for me.

Where do these NBME practice fall into the mix? Sorry but I don't know much about them and when you take them.

Thanks SDN
you refer to step 1? For step 1 they are golden. My NBME scores for Step 1 were pretty reflective and helpful for learning, but did underpredict how I did. But I agree with some of the users that UWORLD is the best for learning and the UWSA2 are the best predictors .I got around 220 - mid 220s on NBME Step 1 practice exams and got >= 230. For step 2, They aren't predictive or helpful to learn at all.
IMO they don't help at all for COMLEX 1 and 2.

UWorld is a great tool to learn from. Wouldn't really focus on the percentages mainly the content and understanding. NBMEs are good for assessing where you are at and addressing any weaknesses to focus on. Since the change a few months ago with the removal of the horizontal bars, it's been a little harder to use to assess exactly where you are at in terms of the subjects, but still the best tools out there.

Nbme exams are there to piss you off and scare you into working harder. Uworld is most important.

Meanwhile, COMSAEs are there to piss you off and give you antisocial personality disorder.

Reactions: 2 users