Where would you apply if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you just wanted to get into any pharmacy school and didn't really care which one, as long as you had a decent chance of getting in, which one would that be?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I don't understand why someone wouldn't care about which school they go to. Most people apply to more than one school, but all are schools to which one would want to attend if accepted. Sure, one can argue that a PharmD is a PharmD, but there are differences in schools and it's important to find the right fit for you. Some things to maybe consider:

Curriculum: Courses, rotations/clinical training,electives, 3 year or 4 year program?
Extra-curricular opportunities
Availabilty of combined degree programs (if interested)
Ranking of the school
Accredidation status of the school
Cost of tuition
Availabilty of financial aid/scholarships
Class size
NAPLEX pass rates

RLK said:
any pharmacy school and didn't really care which one, as long as you had a decent chance of getting in

ANY?? HICP! (assuming "you" refers to a generic "you.") :p :D ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
spreading the good news (TM) about HICP is my job :p

OSURxgirl said:
I guess I don't understand why someone wouldn't care about which school they go to. Most people apply to more than one school, but all are schools to which one would want to attend if accepted. Sure, one can argue that a PharmD is a PharmD, but there are differences in schools and it's important to find the right fit for you. Some things to maybe consider:

Curriculum: Courses, rotations/clinical training,electives, 3 year or 4 year program?
Ranking of the school
Cost of tuition
Class size
NAPLEX pass rates

Being accepted is priority #1. Location isn't really important to me. Florida would be nice, but North Dakota is fine. It doesn't really matter to me. I'm not too concerned about 3 yrs vs. 4 yrs. Time goes by fast.

Accrediation of the school is imporant though. That is true.

The other things I'm sure are important, but those won't come into play until an acceptance letter comes in the mail and that is why I'm asking this question.

endlesslove said:
ANY?? HICP! (assuming "you" refers to a generic "you.") :p :D ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

EDIT: I found out what HICP stands for when I looked at their impressive website:

http://www.hicp.org/

I see that my original question wasn't quite what I was thinking when I asked it. I don't understand the logic behind going to a school with no accredidation. Why do people do this?

lol and remember

HAWAII COLLEGE OF PHARMACY™ IS NOT ACCREDITED
BY AN ACCREDITING AGENCY
RECOGNIZED BY THE UNITED STATES
SECRETARY OF EDUCATION

they are gonna have to get the surgeon general to stamp warnings on any business project these guys dream up

RLK said:
Being accepted is priority #1. Location isn't really important to me. Florida would be nice, but North Dakota is fine. It doesn't really matter to me. I'm not too concerned about 3 yrs vs. 4 yrs. Time goes by fast.

Accrediation of the school is imporant though. That is true.

The other things I'm sure are important, but those won't come into play until an acceptance letter comes in the mail and that is why I'm asking this question.

Apply only to state schools in the state where you live. Apply to any private school that interests you. They don't have to give preference to in-state applicants. You'll have to do your own research on schools. Different schools require different prerequisites. You might try to classify the schools that way, so you don't take a lot of extra courses.

OSURxgirl said:

Ranking of the school
Cost of tuition
Class size
NAPLEX pass rates

Hello, where can I look up for NAPLEX pass rates for schools (or rather, a list of them by schools) other than from each individual websites? Many thanks in advance!

what happened to optometry :(

people in the optometry forum gripe about how the job is degraded due to all the cheapy in-and-out eye clinics like the ones at walmart

aubieRx said:
people in the optometry forum gripe about how the job is degraded due to all the cheapy in-and-out eye clinics like the ones at walmart

I heard that as far as retail pharmacy goes, wal-mart is one of the best to work at. They actually close the pharmacy for lunch too - that's pretty cool if nothing else.

RLK said:
I heard that as far as retail pharmacy goes, wal-mart is one of the best to work at. They actually close the pharmacy for lunch too - that's pretty cool if nothing else.

Besides after work, don't people usually try to pick up their prescriptions during lunch?

I dont think that the pharmacists lunch is "at lunch" its more like 1:00-2:00pm. Besides, its posted, so you know when you drop it off.

DownonthePharm said:
I dont think that the pharmacists lunch is "at lunch" its more like 1:00-2:00pm. Besides, its posted, so you know when you drop it off.

The people at the pharmacy I work at don't really take a lunch. They eat while they work, but never really stop working or leave the pharmacy. I think it would be pretty cool if you could actually leave for a while and go sit down somewhere.

i work at a small compounding pharmacy and we leave everyday for work. my employer pays (well the company does) and we never eat fast food. im only working there for the summer and i know that i will never find such a good deal.

dana92085 said:
i work at a small compounding pharmacy and we leave everyday for work. my employer pays (well the company does) and we never eat fast food. im only working there for the summer and i know that i will never find such a good deal.

Do you know if it's hard to find a job as a pharmacist at a compounding pharmacy? That sounds more interesting to me than retail pharmacy (where I work).

Wal mart is definitely not the best chain to work for. I worked at wal mart for a year and a half. I've worked at target for a little over a month and already I can tell you there is no comparison. Target wins hands down.

Wal Mart is not the only chain that closes for lunch. Target does too. But don't buy into the lunch break thing too much. Usually, a ton of people drop off their prescriptions at 1:25 (lunch is 1:30 to 2:00) and the pharmacist spends "lunch" checking prescriptions, making phonecalls, and bascially playing "catch up".

I thought Walgreens was the best chain to work at.

Just what I heard from several friends who have been out of school for a while.

What is the difference, though? What makes one chain better than the other I mean? I have not worked in retail yet so I was curious.

starsweet said:
What is the difference, though? What makes one chain better than the other I mean? I have not worked in retail yet so I was curious.

I wouldn't ever say one chain is better than another. Your work situation really depends on the pharmacist or pharmacy manager you will be working under. They can make all the difference.

crossjb said:
I wouldn't ever say one chain is better than another. Your work situation really depends on the pharmacist or pharmacy manager you will be working under. They can make all the difference.

Don't forget the technicians. They make quite a difference on the workflow.

starsweet said:
I thought Walgreens was the best chain to work at.

Just what I heard from several friends who have been out of school for a while.

Currently there are no Walgreens in my area, but I've heard they are coming soon. There may be one somewhere in Pittsburgh, but I live about an hour away.

One thing about pharmacy is that there are a ton of pharmacies, so it probably wouldn't be hard to get a job and make a good living.