Where wouldn't you go if you were me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kate D

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a lesbian IMG (with a green card). I have a partner and two kids.

I'm applying for lots of IM programs in MA, NY, CT, NJ, PA, DC and a few other New England states and also in Chicago. I'm primarily applying to less-competitive community hospitals, but some university programs too.

Here's my question: What programs or towns do you think would not be good for me and my family?
Should I assume that hospitals with religious affiliations would be unwelcoming or doesn't it matter?
What do you think of weeding out homophobic programs by mentioning my orientation in my PS/LOR?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't mention your sexual orientation in your PS (I didn't mention my spouse), but that's just because I don't find it necessary. I would assume that some hospitals might have a prejudice against you (those affiliated with certain churches, etc), but not always. I'm in Texas, which is always protrayed as backwards, racist, and homophobic (though most people I meet here are not). If I were you, I would apply to programs that you are interested in. If they aren't interested in you just because you are gay, that's THEIR loss and not yours.

Good luck!

Ask your nurses where you work. Odds are they have friends who are gay and/or lesbian and also nurses at other cities and would know first hand through the underground "nurse network" where the gay and lesbian-friendly hospitals are.

Agree with previous poster. Ask people who will tell it to you straight: med students not going into the specialty you are applying to, nurses, former residents.

I have been in two training programs: one has openly homosexual residents who seem quite comfortable with their situation, and another where a lesbian was driven out of the program because of intolerance (and other factors).

Also, when you get where you're going, I wouldn't scream out your orientation in the halls. Let people come to the realization at their own pace. Even very open minded places still have closed-minded people. As unfortunate as it is, in medicine it's better to stay on the down-low with anything that's remotely radical or countercultural.