where's a good place to start as a tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertraichu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got ptcb certified and I was wondering where would be a good place to look for a job.

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of techs...

I know this question has probably been asked to death but I still don't understand. If I want to become a tech, do I have to get my license first or can I just apply and get hired and get my license later?

I have applied to every pharmacy in my area and NO ONE is hiring so I don't want to go wasted money getting my license if I'm never gonna get the job.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get your license like right now, if you get an interview, you can tell them that you are fully licensed and are ready to work next day. This would give you an advantage over other applicants if they don't yet have their license.

sweet i got helped by a captain falcon fan. Anyway, can someone give me advice on where to search for an entry level tech job? Is there a good site or do i have to call around?

sweet i got helped by a captain falcon fan. Anyway, can someone give me advice on where to search for an entry level tech job? Is there a good site or do i have to call around?

He did give you some advice... are you blind?

If you want to make it in this field, you might want to try some ambition and some initiative.

Where do Pharmacy Technicians work? At Burger King? No, obviously they work in Pharmacies.

Knowing that, think about this for a minute. "Entry level tech" - Well, just about every Tech has the same level of education (the certificate) and qualification, the rest is KSA. Drug stores, WalMart, independent pharmacies, etc... All hire "entry level" technicians, generally. The exception to this is if you're going to be replacing someone more knowledgeable and senior, like I did, except I had zero experience besides a couple weeks of volunteering.

So, go to pharmacies and ask around. Be proactive, not reactive, and take some initiative. This field is becoming more saturated by the day when someone decides it'd be cool to make six figs with 3 years of post-bacc school, so you need to set yourself apart - And being able to think for yourself is a good characteristic.

Passion4Sci, I think, you might be the first prick I've seen on this forum. First, I'm grateful to every poster besides you, the dude whose whole purpose of posting was a flame to make himself/herself seem knowledgeable and important. My point is I've called every pharmacy, I've driven to all that show an ounce of interest, I've applied at every job, I've gotten some interviews, but I still haven't been hired. So I go to the one place I get good advice and I get you. Thank you. FYI, I'm not blind, I can see your sarcasm.

Passion4Sci, I think, you might be the first prick I've seen on this forum. First, I'm grateful to every poster besides you, the dude whose whole purpose of posting was a flame to make himself/herself seem knowledgeable and important. My point is I've called every pharmacy, I've driven to all that show an ounce of interest, I've applied at every job, I've gotten some interviews, but I still haven't been hired. So I go to the one place I get good advice and I get you. Thank you. FYI, I'm not blind, I can see your sarcasm.

Despite being a "prick" I gave you sound information.

Thicker skin, you be needin' it, unless you expect everyone to hold your hand like your OP suggests.

I don't wanna turn this forum into a rant or flame war. I'll give you respect where it's due, thanks for your info. FYI, I don't want anyone holding my hand, I want information. Whatever, you're entitled to your opinion, I'll take what you said to motivate myself and who knows? Your harsh words might just push me into a job. I'm sorry I called you a prick, I'll call you a tough lover.

I don't wanna turn this forum into a rant or flame war. I'll give you respect where it's due, thanks for your info. FYI, I don't want anyone holding my hand, I want information. Whatever, you're entitled to your opinion, I'll take what you said to motivate myself and who knows? Your harsh words might just push me into a job. I'm sorry I called you a prick, I'll call you a tough lover.

As long as you don't say "lover" with a British accent - That makes me very uncomfortable. We had some Britons at LSA Anaconda in Iraq and their accent was really unbearable, especially over the radio.

I'm not trying to be an ass just to be an ass. If you'd read any of my other replies to people you'd know I'm always thoughtful, and I do my best to convey all the information necessary. If I have nothing to contribute I stay out of the thread. But I do find all too often, and not just on this board,but also in the fellow volunteers and my co-workers, that people ask for basic, rudimentary information that they could easily find on their own.

If you've already taken the steps you've taken, then you obviously know exactly where to find entry level tech positions.

LSA anaconda? Isn't that a military base? I was gonna offer to pick a physical fight with you lol but I'd probably lose. Anyway, I know from the post it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing but I do, I do the research, I've asked the pharmacists and techs I've volunteered for. The reason I ask is my region is in a hiring deadzone. No one is hiring and I don't have the option of leaving a certain radius, so after asking everywhere I physically could, I took to the internet. Oh well, sorry we got off to a bad start Passion, I don't have a british accent. (but i can fake a good one)

LSA anaconda? Isn't that a military base? I was gonna offer to pick a physical fight with you lol but I'd probably lose. Anyway, I know from the post it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing but I do, I do the research, I've asked the pharmacists and techs I've volunteered for. The reason I ask is my region is in a hiring deadzone. No one is hiring and I don't have the option of leaving a certain radius, so after asking everywhere I physically could, I took to the internet. Oh well, sorry we got off to a bad start Passion, I don't have a british accent. (but i can fake a good one)

Yes, it is a military base. Mostly Army, but we had contingencies of all forces, including foreign ones, there.

Have you checked Craig's List? It sounds stupid and counter-intuitive but a lot of times there are Wanted ads on there in the Medical/Healthcare section.

Yeah i tried craigslist, bad for jobs, good for buying cheap aquariums. I was so close to getting hired today at Walgreens and the person who was leaving decided to stay at last minute. I just sit here, blogging posting in forums, calling pharmacies and reviewing trade generics because a graduated from college, summer school is over, and volunteering doesn't start til August. So what do you do on base?

Yeah i tried craigslist, bad for jobs, good for buying cheap aquariums. I was so close to getting hired today at Walgreens and the person who was leaving decided to stay at last minute. I just sit here, blogging posting in forums, calling pharmacies and reviewing trade generics because a graduated from college, summer school is over, and volunteering doesn't start til August. So what do you do on base?

I'm out. I didn't re-enlist after my 4 year contract was up. I was an human intelligence collector/linguist during my stay in the Army, though. I enjoyed it, I learned a lot and I grew a lot as a person, but I had no desire to go back.

Keep up on that Walgreen's position, who knows, they might change their mind. Time for some cement shoes!

I live near the ocean, cement shoes aren't good lol. But yeah, I just told the manager to keep me in mind if anything changes, and I'm gonna call every pharmacy again tomorrow. My goal was to get a job so I could note it in my pharmcas which i'm turning in in a week, so close! I see you live in Sacramento, are you gonna apply to pacific? I am, it's the only non Southern California school I'm trying for XD

I live near the ocean, cement shoes aren't good lol. But yeah, I just told the manager to keep me in mind if anything changes, and I'm gonna call every pharmacy again tomorrow. My goal was to get a job so I could note it in my pharmcas which i'm turning in in a week, so close! I see you live in Sacramento, are you gonna apply to pacific? I am, it's the only non Southern California school I'm trying for XD

USC, UCSF and UoP!

desert-rai-chu,

it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. especially if you're in socal. so just keep putting yourself out there and hope for the best. but always keep a positive attitude.