Which Accelerated BSN programs accept Grad courses for pre-recs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr2b44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-med convert and am looking into nursing schools to be an RN. I have a BS and Master's in biology but I'm finding that most nursing schools will not take my graduate courses as pre-recs. Unfortunately that would mean me basically retaking my whole master's degree but at an undergrad level (24 credits). There's no way to sort out which programs will take my grad courses other than calling. I've found one (Holy Family).

Do any of you know of others?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

That seems strange at first glance that you are having a hard time at that. I remember that my associates degree RN program took some of my graduate level courses. I’ve noticed, though, that accelerated BSN programs seem to be more strict and structured in what the require, and less accommodating. Essentially, they feel like they have things figured out the way they want things uniform, so you’ll just have to keep calling around and asking. There isn’t really a good substiture for doing that, because you really want to do this right and have all the ducks in a row. Your kind of circumstances might show up in FAQ pages for each school, so you could save time looking at those. It seems like you wouldn’t be the only person out there facing this. But doing some legwork is just par for the course. It’s easier than ever in this age to get connected to the person who can answer your question quickly.

I am a pre-med convert and am looking into nursing schools to be an RN. I have a BS and Master's in biology but I'm finding that most nursing schools will not take my graduate courses as pre-recs. Unfortunately that would mean me basically retaking my whole master's degree but at an undergrad level (24 credits). There's no way to sort out which programs will take my grad courses other than calling. I've found one (Holy Family).

Do any of you know of others?
Thanks in advance!

With a masters in Biology have you thought about PA or AA school?

Members don't see this ad :)
AA school?

I'm in a similar boat with a masters degree. Is there anything else we could potentially look into besides RN to NP route or PA? Looking for something with a similar salary patient interaction of a PA or NP without more than 2 or 3 years of schooling.

AA school?

I'm in a similar boat with a masters degree. Is there anything else we could potentially look into besides RN to NP route or PA? Looking for something with a similar salary patient interaction of a PA or NP without more than 2 or 3 years of schooling.

AA = Anesthesiologist Assistant. Not able to practice in all states. Similar to a CRNA. If you are looking for a max of 2-3 years of school i would say;

PA - 2 years
Accelerated BSN then to NP - 3ish years at minimum
AA - 2-3 years (i think)
Accelerated BSN to CRNA would be 3-5 years - gotta do time in the ICUs but good grief can they make some $$$.

Or you could be special ed and get your ADN, then BSN, then go to med school. The longest possible route imaginable. LOL.

Anyone willing to pay you to interact with patients is paying for your 2-3 years of extra education, son!

I’m not outraged that folks are looking for the easiest way to make Np and Pa type money, and do so the fastest. But to break it down and make the journey ore palatable (which, to answer your question is, no, there isn’t a faster and easier way out there to have the patient interaction and salary of an NP or PA), just remember that PA and NP IS the faster and easier way into a field that offers a decent reward for the responsibility of having someone else’s wellbeing in your hands. The folks that are the top of that hierarchy are physicians. The 2 or three years of extra school that you would want to sidestep is the actual training that adds value to your profile. The patient that you see gets nothing out of your previous bachelors degree, and doesn’t care that you have that, because they are paying for the degree that makes it so you can know what is wrong with them and do something about it.

I hear you because I was in the same boat with biology degrees of my own, and it seemed like that should have counted for something. Recognizing that it really doesn’t matter much (apart from making life a little easier for you when you are applying that knowledge to the new knowledge you are learning) is actually a healthy realization. And if you think about it, you don’t really want to live in a world where that kind of chaotic score keeping is rewarded with high pay and relative prestige. You will want your physician to have performed the required training from scratch, just like your PAs, your mechanics, your police officers, your dentists, your firemen.... pretty much anyone out there needs to know the practical aspects of their job. You will find that the reward you reap from your masters might be that you get to spend more time with your family while the rest of your nursing class has to pour over material that you already know. But basically, even then, that kind of advantage is relatively brief because learning medical treatment concepts involves a lot more new information that you will have to master. That’s why they can’t sit back and respect your degrees that are already earned... because it ultimately doesn’t matter as much as the 2 or 3 years of material they have to present to you for mastery.

To be honest, I think that there are lots of jobs out there that are easier ways to make money than becoming a physician, and even a Pa or NP. My cop relatives make decent money starting in their early 20s, have great benefits and are locked into a great retirement system... all things that aren’t guaranteed to me. Heck, the best thing I could have done in my early 20s would have been to get on at the post office. Even teaching, under the right circumstances, would have been a better return in my investment of time and money than chasing NP. Regular hours, summers off, no holidays and weekends... never had that for myself in any healthcare career I’ve been in. I’d gladly spend time setting up a system to rapidly correct my papers within an hour or two after the kids go home so I could have the rest of the night to myself, and run some other business on the side, like lawn care in the summer months, or outdooor outfitting. My friend does that with his spouse (who also teaches), and they get the same days off with their kids, and they make much more that I ever will as an NP. My souse and I are used to seeing each other in passing most of the week due to healthcare careers.

Just bite the bullet and own your decisions you’ve made to this point. There is no magic for the magician, he just has to put in the work to obtain what everyone thinks is easy. You want to touch patients and make money doing it, you have to bring something to the table that is more than your previous degrees gave you. Frankly, two years is in many ways not even optimal for the minimum requirement to become a Pa or NP, so be glad that that is even still available. Nursing academics are pushing for the doctorate of nursing practice to be the minimum threshold for entry into the NP field, and the PA realm has their own doctorates they are toying with.

Reactions: 1 user
I was recently talking to another nurse about CRNA. We concluded that both becoming one and being one was something that always seemed more appealing before we became nurses. For new nurses it’s looked at like it’s the pinnacle of the nursing industry... the great white whale that everyone seems to be after... lots of pay and great hours.

What is seems to me now is a job where you are in a room bored off your backside waiting for a surgeon to freak out at you when a patient tanks, in a field with ever growing numbers of peers coming out of school and watering down your value, hours that aren’t quite what you expected, and 2 years of training where you can’t work, but still have to support yourself and pay fairly expensive tuition. I have a neighbor that is a CRNA, and it’s not turning out for him the way he expected. My psyche Np friends make as much or more than many of the CRNAs these days. It’s probably a good field if you are into that kind of thing, but their work just doesn’t interest me, and I know what they do as well as just about anyone that isn’t one.

Yes, I have explored PA school but unfortunately do not have the clinical hours and my GPA is not competitive enough. Thank you for the suggestion to do AA - I'll check it out. However at this point I am wanting to be a pediatric nurse.

That seems strange at first glance that you are having a hard time at that. I remember that my associates degree RN program took some of my graduate level courses. I’ve noticed, though, that accelerated BSN programs seem to be more strict and structured in what the require, and less accommodating. Essentially, they feel like they have things figured out the way they want things uniform, so you’ll just have to keep calling around and asking. There isn’t really a good substiture for doing that, because you really want to do this right and have all the ducks in a row. Your kind of circumstances might show up in FAQ pages for each school, so you could save time looking at those. It seems like you wouldn’t be the only person out there facing this. But doing some legwork is just par for the course. It’s easier than ever in this age to get connected to the person who can answer your question quickly.

Thanks Pamac, it is definitely time consuming so I was hoping someone could list a school they went to that is in my same position. I've spent 3 cycles of medical school and decided no more for me; I could have been an RN by now (insert rolling eyes). But there's no use in dwelling on what could have been. I'm moving forward and really want to do this right. I'll check out the FAQ's though. I've spoken to many counselors and sent my transcripts along with each course syllabi I dug up from my grad program. Many people are unresponsive so it's a lot of calling back and being the bug in their ear.