Online accelerated BSN programs & background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moki1984

Reaction score
Good morning :)

ABSN
Any online ABSN programs you have had experience with or heard good reviews about ? Specifically ones that allow you to do clinicals in your own area at approved locations and are for students that have a bach degree in another major. Gathering information right now on them as well as online NP programs.

I only have one in person option for PA if I go that route, I cannot relocate so only one I can drive to. I contacted them with some questions and they asked for my transcripts so I am working to get information from them currently. Yale online is the other PA option I looked at.

Current goal is to lay out all of my options for PA/NP such as any additional courses I need, timelines for application, estimated cost, average pay, scope of practice etc. Still debating PA or NP in psych, my state does not grant autonomy to NPs btw (I'm in NC)

Background
I have a BSc in psych with a minor in bio, 3.8 GPA, years of direct patient care experience. I am lacking chemistry courses and I only have one anatomy & physiology so I expect I need at least 3 more prereqs. I don't know if this matters , I expect it doesn't, but I have a side hustle of writing online in the field of behavioral health/spiritual psychology. Call it my positive coping skill for stress that gives me a few extra hundred a month. I do blogs/articles and respond to reader questions for a site I work with. I am also a veteran, honorable discharge (non-medical job while serving)

From your own experience, do you feel like my background makes me more competitive for either route or not really? I understand I have more options to apply to in terms of NP since I am limited to either my current location or online.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There aren’t many, if any, online accelerated BSN programs that exist in the way you are describing. The RN degree is very hands on and in person. There isn’t a way to phone that in from a distance. The same is true for direct entry Np programs. And I’m sure that you now know that the same is true for all but a couple of PA programs.

Yes, I have noticed. I was hoping some people might know about schools I am unaware of, hence I asked.

I understand I will have to leave my job at some point, just trying to delay that as much as possible or at least until our situation is better (personal reason, nothing bad just a hardship right now)

I do have a local ABSN program, one. I need a couple prereqs for them and applications will start this summer and run till September for the next 13 month cycle. They even do psych clinicals at my current hospital so that would be somewhat amusing. It is an option. The local ABSN school and local PA school are definitely in my mind as top runners, but still trying to find anything online that is a viable option as well.

Some might say I am avoiding the reality of the situation, I have to leave my job sooner than I really wanted to and I just need to accept that.

Thank you for your continued replies as I am transitioning and processing :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did actually think you were resisting the notion of changing gears and leaving your job, but it seems you are self aware. I hear what you are saying about loving your job and supporting your family with the income. It’s nerve racking, and a big decision to make. But there are upsides. To begin with, a 13-month BSN program is a fairly quick program. If you can land a spot there, that’s a great opportunity, provided it doesn’t cost a lot in tuition. By “a lot”, I’m thinking anything over $50,000. If you can do that program for $30,000, that’s a big win. So if you’d share what it costs to go there, that would be helpful. I personally think that getting an RN is one of the best investments in education that one can make in terms of return. Once you have that RN, you can earn a decent wage anywhere in the nation, with a few exceptions. Obviously, expensive RN programs that cost upward of $100,000 (they do exist) don’t qualify as a good investment in my mind. But a program that costs $40,000 or below is a no brainer compared to other bachelors degrees. And to get it in 13 months is fantastic. It gets you in the workforce quickly, and it opens the door to Np school, which, in the case of psyche Np, typically can mean doubling your RN wage. RNs in my market easily make $80,000. Psyche RNs I know have graduated from Np school and immediately walked into jobs that pay over $150,000. There are non Np jobs out there that pay that much, but they also require putting in tons of hours. I know very few lawyers that make that much right out of school that don’t work 60+ hours per week. I know no engineers that make that much right out of school. Very few new airline pilots make that much. I do know RNs that make $120,000 a year, but they work at least a couple jobs. I also know PAs that make around that much, but they are at the top of their game, have tons of experience, and work more than one job as well, with the exception of a very lucky PA that works in a high paying specialty.

Since you are in a restricted state for NPs, you might be looking at less money being thrown at you, but I think the overall outlook is still decent. And you can always participate in telepsyche, and get licensed in an independent practice stat, and evaluate patients from a distance, as well as prescribe using that format. Your pay from doing that would be decent... the going rate is typically at least $100 an hour. Can’t do that as a PA.

In your case, I just think it makes a lot of sense to do an accelerated BSN program. It gives you a lot of options. Getting a Pa degree will probably be at least $100,000, and take you out of the job market for 2 years. You’ll always be chained to working for a physician, forever hampering your ability to have more control over you income. You won’t be able to break into telepsyche, or even move to a place where you can practice independently. They can make decent wages, but there just more potential for you as a psyche NP.

You are correct, I am hesitant to leave. Working on that one day at a time mentally lol

I love the idea of being able to split my time with some PTs in a traditional setting and some online. Actually, I would like to be home sometimes with a home office not just pushing massive hours at the hospital/clinic. I see that as something to go after down the road, but doubtful in the beginning. I would also like more time to talk with patients, therapy, not just medication management. I am starting to feel like with a NP I could have more flexibility in achieving that, especially if I get into private practice

I called the local program to ask about pricing because I was not sure if it followed the same pricing of their traditional BSN route. The lady at student accounts (who didn't seem super interested in my phone call lol ) told me it looked like $3500 per semester (rounding up) . That is a good price if she is right. I can't help but lack confidence in her though, she didn't seem to have confidence in her own answer as if she was unsure. NC tends to be pretty good on in-state tuition. Although I know the local PA program will be around 90,000.

Either way I have a small portion of my GI Bill remaining so I get some help with tuition/book stipend in the beginning until I exhaust what I have left. I think I can get one more semester out of my GI BILL, It is really close to being exhausted

Last edited:
I am finishing up an RN-to-BSN and it is a joke.

Reactions: 1 user
A 13 month BSN program for 3500/semester is a deal. I would definitely do that .You won't get a good nursing education if you do something online with DIY clinicals. Its the clinical hours and mentorship in nursing school that make you a good nurse.

You might also want to look at Frontier School of Nursing in KY. The have an online Psych NP program and they are one of the oldest schools in the country to educate advanced practice nurses. I have several colleagues and friends who participated in their community based programs over the years who went on to became fantastic midwives and NPs.

Good luck!