which anatomy book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angeeeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this question has been asked/answered recently, but a quick search by the "angeeeeee search engine" has turned up no results :oops: We are given a choice of which book we want to purchase to supplement the required books: Gray's Anatomy for Students (Drake, Vogel, and Mitchell) and Essential Meidcal Embryology, 9th ed. (Sadler). Based on the content in the above two required books, which of the following would you recommend?

1. Atlas of Human Anatomy 3rd ed. (Netter)
2. Grant's Atlas of Anatomy 11th ed. (Agur)

Is one easier to read/understand? Does one have better diagrams? Or are they pretty similar and I should just look for whichever one I can get cheaper? :p

Thanks for your opinions in advance!
~angeeeeee

Members don't see this ad.

netter, hands down.

Netter's is what we used in my undergrad A+P course and it is hands down the best book I have ever seen on this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Netters

Lady in bookstore told us that every year they sell about 6 of the other, and every years about 6 get returned...

Netter is the best. I love it!

i guess that answers my question...i'll buy netter :)

I bought Netter 8 years ago and still refer to it. Actually, I looked at it last night and will again tonight.

the only thing i hate about my netter book is that after only a year, some of the pages are starting to fall out. :mad:

I had the same problem. I took the pages out, had them laminated and keep them in a three ring binder.

angeeeeee said:
Forgive me if this question has been asked/answered recently, but a quick search by the "angeeeeee search engine" has turned up no results :oops: We are given a choice of which book we want to purchase to supplement the required books: Gray's Anatomy for Students (Drake, Vogel, and Mitchell) and Essential Meidcal Embryology, 9th ed. (Sadler). Based on the content in the above two required books, which of the following would you recommend?

1. Atlas of Human Anatomy 3rd ed. (Netter)
2. Grant's Atlas of Anatomy 11th ed. (Agur)

Is one easier to read/understand? Does one have better diagrams? Or are they pretty similar and I should just look for whichever one I can get cheaper? :p

Thanks for your opinions in advance!
~angeeeeee

i wont give second thought
its definately netter
as never knew anatomy as much as i do now...credit is netter!
worth buying
or u can borrow from your library ...

What about the hype that Netter has errors in it? I have not had them pointed out to me, but some students claim they use Grants cause its more accurate. Anyone else heard that?

ISU_Steve said:
I had the same problem. I took the pages out, had them laminated and keep them in a three ring binder.

i had my Netter book 3 hole punched for the easy of carrying. i figured i only needed to study few pages of it at a time, so why carry around an extra 15 pounds?

Members don't see this ad :)
ISU_Steve said:
Every single page? It must cost you a bunch!

Not when your grandmother's best friend's husband owned a printing company. I think it cost me $25.00. :smuggrin:

unlvdmd said:
What about the hype that Netter has errors in it? I have not had them pointed out to me, but some students claim they use Grants cause its more accurate. Anyone else heard that?
I've never found any errors in the head and neck section. I haven't checked the other sections as thoroughly.

If your paperback falls apart try the hardcover.

There are some errors in the book but very few from what I recall my prof. mentioning in class. I know one is in the branching order of arteries leaving the right subclavian (p28); he has the Thyrocervical after the vertebral on one diagram and the other way on another. These few errors should not discourage you from getting the book. I am sure other anatomy books have just as many error if not more.

Neither Netter or Grant are good for just reading...they're really...mostly picture books... but Grant does have some good captions/expanations... but Netter by far.. has the best details in the pictures... If you want a good text for Anatomy... check out Liebgotts book... "The Anatomical Basis of Dentistry"... fairly easy reading... and I think a lot of D-Schools use this as their text.

The other good option for those that rather have portablity in their choice of Atlas... Netter also has companion flash cards... the pictures are straight out of the actually Atlas... and on the back of each card ..there are explanations about the pics...

Moore and Dalley: Clinically Oriented Anatomy

Netter's for the pix. The Netter flashcards also have A LOT of good information. Moore and Daily is good for the content. It has EvERYTHING.

But they would not have been laminated....that's what cost me the $25.

boogaking said:
Neither Netter or Grant are good for just reading...they're really...mostly picture books... but Grant does have some good captions/expanations... but Netter by far.. has the best details in the pictures... If you want a good text for Anatomy... check out Liebgotts book... "The Anatomical Basis of Dentistry"... fairly easy reading... and I think a lot of D-Schools use this as their text.

The other good option for those that rather have portablity in their choice of Atlas... Netter also has companion flash cards... the pictures are straight out of the actually Atlas... and on the back of each card ..there are explanations about the pics...

so if you had to choose between grays anatomy plus flashcards and netters anatomy and flashcards what would you choose and y?

i start dental school in a few weeks n need sum help please.

miss khan

uni of birmingham.
england

toofache32 said:
I bought Netter 8 years ago and still refer to it. Actually, I looked at it last night and will again tonight.
Same here...I use it on a weekly basis...

OMFSCardsFan said:
Same here...I use it on a weekly basis...
Interestingly, Netter's is the only book that I haven't found errors in yet. Not including normal anatomic variations.

I recommend Netter's Atlas plus Gray's Anatomy for Students. The latter has excellent illustrations and concise, clear explanations of the functional stuff.

EvoDevo said:
I recommend Netter's Atlas plus Gray's Anatomy for Students. The latter has excellent illustrations and concise, clear explanations of the functional stuff.
I did use Gray's Anatomy a lot in my dental school anatomy class. It has great explanations of how cranial nerves and blood vessels course through bone and soft tissue. It helped bridge the gap between Nedder's pictures from one side of a bone to the other...

During my gross class, I would have said Netter....but in hindsight I think looking at real bodies, nerves and arteries in Grants Atlas is the best method!!!!