which are the best undergrad premed programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsegalBSD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which schools, in particular, are well-known for preparing students for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

All the best premeds go to Harvard, everyone knows that:D

Not really, just go to a school with some credibility and you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think two of the best premed programs are WashU and UPenn. Both have a great administration to help undergrads with the medical school application process.

Generally, the undergrad institution by the same name as the well known med schools, but everyone know the absolute best place is Riverside CC.

I think two of the best premed programs are WashU and UPenn. Both have a great administration to help undergrads with the medical school application process.

jesus you did all that as an undergrad... you deserved those acceptances haha
and how did you get your masters by 21?

I'm a bit biased toward research, so I would say Hopkins. The research opportunities, especially those at the School of Medicine, are simply amazing. We also have a relatively small undergrad. population (~4500), so it's very easy to find research positions.

The tons of shadowing opportunities at the nation's top hospital don't hurt either.

Anywhere that has good science departments and isn't a hut in the sticks should be fine.

jesus you did all that as an undergrad... you deserved those acceptances haha
and how did you get your masters by 21?

lots of AP credit and lots of classes each semester haha

Choosing a college solely, or even predominantly because of its "pre-med program" would be an extremely poor decision in my opinion. Consider everything else first then if the school you like the most doesn't offer the basic sciences or is in the boonies with no doctors or hospitals around you can reconsider.

I'm a bit biased toward research, so I would say Hopkins. The research opportunities, especially those at the School of Medicine, are simply amazing. We also have a relatively small undergrad. population (~4500), so it's very easy to find research positions.

The tons of shadowing opportunities at the nation's top hospital don't hurt either.

Cyto, I know you are a Hopkins person, so I am wondering of the competitiveness of the pre-meds? I finished my undergrad in 2004, but was deciding between it and Hopkins back in the day. I heard from several people that you guys are cut-throat and overly competitive...so I ended up going to my school (in the south!!), which was ridiculously competitive anyway :smuggrin:
People stole each other's notes and things sometimes!! That being said, I wouldn't trade my education for anything, though my pre-med advisor wasn't the greatest to people...she's no longer there though so it makes no difference, and I am no longer there so it's a moot point...and I'm rambling!! :oops:

Cyto, I know you are a Hopkins person, so I am wondering of the competitiveness of the pre-meds? I finished my undergrad in 2004, but was deciding between it and Hopkins back in the day. I heard from several people that you guys are cut-throat and overly competitive...so I ended up going to my school (in the south!!), which was ridiculously competitive anyway :smuggrin:
People stole each other's notes and things sometimes!! That being said, I wouldn't trade my education for anything, though my pre-med advisor wasn't the greatest to people...she's no longer there though so it makes no difference, and I am no longer there so it's a moot point...and I'm rambling!! :oops:

In my 3.5 years here, I personally haven't seen any cut-throat behavior. I'm sure it happens, but there's really very little reason for it, as most classes aren't graded on a bell-curve.

I also wouldn't trade my education for anything, and absolutely love it here. I think that's the most important thing for the OP: find an undergrad. you enjoy. Going to a pre-med factory only to come out average or below average will cripple your application to med. school more than any name can help it.