Which Atul Gawande book to read next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Atul Gawande book should I read next?

• Total voters

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Intern by Dr. X

&

Migrant Farmer to Doc by Dr. Quinones-Hinojosa

are 2 books I would recommend!!

Members don't see this ad :)
better > complications > being mortal > checklist

gawande is at his best when he's tackling a charged issue and has the guts to give his opinion. the chapter on the ethics of physician involvement in capital punishment in "better" is some of his best writing. alternatively, if you want to read a doctor describe how buildings are built for 40 pages, "checklist" is for you

Reactions: 1 user
Better was good, checklist was good, Being Mortal was outstanding, IMHO. Read all of them, quick reads, nothing complicated. He is a very compelling writer.

Being Mortal is really good!

Reactions: 1 user
depends on your interests and your taste in writing styles and subjects...I'd recommend everyone to read them all eventually.

Seriously all of them put together are less than 2000 pages, just read them all. I agree that Checklist is the least entertaining because it's so much ruminating on a narrow topic, but if you have an interest in surgery and/or have ever witnessed a timeout, it's interesting to learn about its origins.

My order: Better > Being Mortal > Complications > Checklist. The CF chapter in Better is probably my favorite.

I've read a couple of then and they are ughhhh. Dull as can be. Guess I'm not really into the "eat, sleep, breath" medicine type.