Which Berkeley Review set to buy and where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisy2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard about this in a couple of posts. Is this available without registering for a class and if so where and which editions do you use.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I heard about this in a couple of posts. Is this available without registering for a class and if so where and which editions do you use.

Thanks
I used the link from SN2ed's guide. You can probably just google it too. They have a site with all of the current editions of the books available to be ordered. Note, though, that it is not an electronic transaction. You have to send an order form...

Thanks

Some materials are available via their website for home study. This includes review books and full length CBTs. In the class itself, there are additional materials and computer tests, but those are only through the class.

If you are going to get the books, the following is a good guideline.

(1) Most importantly, get them without any writing on the practice questions. If you buy them used, be picky about that, because even the slightest hint (an erased answer choice) can ruin your objectivity.

(2) Try doing the passages and questions in a section first, and then go back and read the section if you're not doing well. If it's an area you feel weak in, then you may want to read the chapter first. The strength of the books are the great passges and the helpful explanations. They cover many test tricks in the explanations, so read them even if you get a question correct.

• For Biology, after 2004 is okay, and after 2007 is best. The changes are not obvious, but the newer books have improved graphics and the answers have been modified to emphasize the changes the MCAT writers made at those times.

For Organic Chemistry, after 2004 is okay, and after 2007 is best. It's basically the same thing as the biology books, because the BS section had changes to both organic chemistry and biology around that time.

For General Chemistry, after 2006 is okay, after 2008 is better, and 2010 is best. The book has been revised slightly with each new printing, with a few questions changed here and there and answer explanations improved for many questions. The big change involved the electrochemistry section. Also, more biological examples have been included with each subsequent printing. This book is a top pick at SDN because it incorporates other subjects and has tons and tons of great passages and explanations.

For Physics, brand new! The physics book underwent the biggest overhaul of any book this past year, and the new one is great! Books from 2007 to 2010 are very good and that has earn the top ranking here at SDN, but the newest book is even better, having addressed the feedback given in class and via homestudy. The Fluids and Solids, E&M, and Optics sections are amazing now. There are tons of tricks they teach in their classes now included in the new book. Of all the books, this is the one that you should go for the new, no matter how good a deal you may find on used ones.

For Verbal, 2008 and later is good. The earlier versions are adequate, but in 2007 they upgraded the answer explanations and finalized the editting in 2008. As you have probably read, people aren't thrilled with BR verbal, so it is best used as additional passages should you run out of material.

bump

I've been getting a larger number of PMs than usual, so I figured I'd bump this thread. I'm also pushing a personal agenda that if you opt to buy used books, do it from someone at SDN, because it (1) helps someone in this community and (2) the bad stories we hear about usually stem from Craigslist or eBay.

And as a big favor, if someone PMs you about pdf versions (which are bootlegged versions), could you forward that PM to me? And although it may be embarrassing, if you bought from a guy claiming to be selling an official pdf version (which doesn't exist), and what he sent you was useless jpgs of something else, could you also let us know? Thank you in advance.