which bio classes wil be helpful for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buccalup2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already finished 1 yr of general bio and gen. chem. and ochem. Here are the bio classes avail at my school which I can take in the next 2 quarters before taking the DAT. Please tell me which bio classes below you think are NOT as important as the other ones on the list in terms of preparing for the DAT. i want to take 6 out of the following 8 classes over the next 2 quarters. thanks guys. i'd really appreciate your inputs.

-genetics
-human anatomy
-human physiology
-ecology
-evolution
-microbiology
-comparative vertebrate anatomy
- elements of biochemistry

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen in the Bio practice tests, in addition to General Bio, there seems to be a lot of A&P.

biochem, all your prereqs, genetics, and molecular genetics

A&P is okay but i didnt get one A&P question on my test

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a question or 2 about comp. anatomy. I seemed to have a few on cell bio, but you don't have that listed. If they do offer cell I would def. take it. Good luck!
Scott

My test had a lot of developmental biology/embryology questions on it and I had just completed that class so I was very happy. Physiology and cell biology were also very helpful.

I recommend Cell Biology above all other additional bio classes.

Word. Cell biology hands down. I was a cell bio major, and it was unbelievable how much that helped on the bio section of the DAT. I got a 22 on Bio using only TS, Achiever and Kaplan. Without using Cliff, Schaums, Destroyer etc, I was actually very amazed by the score.

biochem, all your prereqs, genetics, and molecular genetics

A&P is okay but i didnt get one A&P question on my test

wow. not even ONE A&P question? few practice books said there'd be ~7 A&P on the DAT. guess they are just trying to give a breakdown of questions types.

also, the strong recommendations are for cell bio. haven't even thought about that but i will definitely take it now.

my bio chem class was pretty much an excruciatingly detailed expansion of cell bio. B/w those 2 classes I think they were by far the 2 most helpful on the bio section.
Scott

I don't think biochem would be too much help on the DAT. Maybe my university teaches it different but my biochem course is a lot more chemistry based and is infact a chemistry course. I know there are some more general bio based biochemistry classes so I could see one of those being helpful but a straight up pure biochemistry class probably wouldn't be as useful as a cell biology course.

My biochem was a pure biochem course. It had obvious benefits for ochem (mutarotation, reducing sugars, carbs, and a few other topics which we only touched on in ochem). But it was helpful for bio as well. For example, I was only required to know basics about amino acids in cell (polar charged, polar non-charged, non-polar, aromatics, blah, blah....). In biochem we had to know structures, side chain interactions, pH effects, etc...Having that info in my back pocket made me much more confident with protein stuff that might show up on the bio section.
Scott

I think genetics is a great class to have.. it seem as if my genetics class cover a descent portion of molecular biology. i am taking cell bio next semester right before the test..

by the way is there an extensive difference between cell and molecular bio? are they synanomous?

Take genetics. Even though genetics on the DAT is easy, it's good to have under your belt, since genetics is the basis of all biology.