1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which Bio to take??

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by mossimo870, Dec 1, 2008.

1. mossimo870

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey everyone,

I am about to start some post-bacc classes at Hofstra University in the spring, and was wondering which Bio course would be of greater help to me when it comes to DAT time.
    I can take Genetics (which is a 3 credit lecture with no lab) or Human Anatomy and Physiology (a 3 credit class with a lab). Would one of these be more beneficial to me than the other? Is there a different Bio class than the two that I listed that anyone would recommend?

THANKS FOR ANY OPINIONS!!!

2. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Genetics would prep you better for the DAT but the A&P class would look better to the adcom committees. Several people said my course load was lacking by not taking A&P.

Plus all you need to know about genetics for the DAT are the basics which can be found in your general bio book.

I vote for A&P

3. mossimo870

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the input Jake!

I did a little planning, and I think that I will have time to take both, so I will try to fit them both in.
    With your recommendation, I am leaning towards taking A&P first. Should I take A&P I&II?

4. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I made a 24 on the bio section of the dat. Here are the classes I would recommend: genetics, a&p, human phys., embryology, ecology, general bio I & II, and evolution. PM me if you want advice on how to score high on the biology section.

5. bergoshe

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Out of those options I'd go with A and P.

Did you already take a Biochem class?

6. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Biochemistry is extremely helpful for the DAT. I took it between my 1st and 2nd attempts and scored 3 points higher. I think genetics comes up a lot on the DAT, but like the first responder said, nothing nearly as complicated past operons and mendelian genetics.

I vote A&P, because it will help for the DAT, Dental school, and the class is really, really interesting and will only peak your interest more for medicine.

But @ the OPs original question, there a lot of questions on the Bio DAT about physiology, and they're probably some of the hardest. They'll ask round-about questions about different organs, endocrine systems and digestive, cardiovascular, and nerve systems esp.

Def A&P

7. bergoshe

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yea if you can choose from anything I'd go with Biochem personally. Anatomy and Physiology is also REQUIRED at some of the schools though.

8. Chesnok

Chesnok Waiting game has ended
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Genetics for DAT and future courses, A/P is for a great start at d-school.
    Choice is both but Genetics first since you have to pass thru the DAT Genetics section. IMO.