• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Which Bio to take??

mossimo870

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey everyone,

I am about to start some post-bacc classes at Hofstra University in the spring, and was wondering which Bio course would be of greater help to me when it comes to DAT time.
I can take Genetics (which is a 3 credit lecture with no lab) or Human Anatomy and Physiology (a 3 credit class with a lab). Would one of these be more beneficial to me than the other? Is there a different Bio class than the two that I listed that anyone would recommend?

THANKS FOR ANY OPINIONS!!!

Jake8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
  1. Dental Student
Genetics would prep you better for the DAT but the A&P class would look better to the adcom committees. Several people said my course load was lacking by not taking A&P.

Plus all you need to know about genetics for the DAT are the basics which can be found in your general bio book.

I vote for A&P

mossimo870

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
Thanks for the input Jake!

I did a little planning, and I think that I will have time to take both, so I will try to fit them both in.
With your recommendation, I am leaning towards taking A&P first. Should I take A&P I&II?

About the Ads

DROCKINDAHOUSE

UTHSCSA c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2008
Texas
  1. Dental Student
I made a 24 on the bio section of the dat. Here are the classes I would recommend: genetics, a&p, human phys., embryology, ecology, general bio I & II, and evolution. PM me if you want advice on how to score high on the biology section.

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Columbus, OH
  1. Dental Student
Biochemistry is extremely helpful for the DAT. I took it between my 1st and 2nd attempts and scored 3 points higher. I think genetics comes up a lot on the DAT, but like the first responder said, nothing nearly as complicated past operons and mendelian genetics.

I vote A&P, because it will help for the DAT, Dental school, and the class is really, really interesting and will only peak your interest more for medicine.

But @ the OPs original question, there a lot of questions on the Bio DAT about physiology, and they're probably some of the hardest. They'll ask round-about questions about different organs, endocrine systems and digestive, cardiovascular, and nerve systems esp.

Def A&P

Chesnok

Waiting game has ended
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
  1. Dental Student
Genetics for DAT and future courses, A/P is for a great start at d-school.
Choice is both but Genetics first since you have to pass thru the DAT Genetics section. IMO.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.