Which Bio to take??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossimo870

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am about to start some post-bacc classes at Hofstra University in the spring, and was wondering which Bio course would be of greater help to me when it comes to DAT time.
I can take Genetics (which is a 3 credit lecture with no lab) or Human Anatomy and Physiology (a 3 credit class with a lab). Would one of these be more beneficial to me than the other? Is there a different Bio class than the two that I listed that anyone would recommend?

THANKS FOR ANY OPINIONS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Genetics would prep you better for the DAT but the A&P class would look better to the adcom committees. Several people said my course load was lacking by not taking A&P.

Plus all you need to know about genetics for the DAT are the basics which can be found in your general bio book.

I vote for A&P

Thanks for the input Jake!

I did a little planning, and I think that I will have time to take both, so I will try to fit them both in.
With your recommendation, I am leaning towards taking A&P first. Should I take A&P I&II?

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a 24 on the bio section of the dat. Here are the classes I would recommend: genetics, a&p, human phys., embryology, ecology, general bio I & II, and evolution. PM me if you want advice on how to score high on the biology section.

Out of those options I'd go with A and P.

Did you already take a Biochem class?

Biochemistry is extremely helpful for the DAT. I took it between my 1st and 2nd attempts and scored 3 points higher. I think genetics comes up a lot on the DAT, but like the first responder said, nothing nearly as complicated past operons and mendelian genetics.

I vote A&P, because it will help for the DAT, Dental school, and the class is really, really interesting and will only peak your interest more for medicine.

But @ the OPs original question, there a lot of questions on the Bio DAT about physiology, and they're probably some of the hardest. They'll ask round-about questions about different organs, endocrine systems and digestive, cardiovascular, and nerve systems esp.

Def A&P

Yea if you can choose from anything I'd go with Biochem personally. Anatomy and Physiology is also REQUIRED at some of the schools though.

Genetics for DAT and future courses, A/P is for a great start at d-school.
Choice is both but Genetics first since you have to pass thru the DAT Genetics section. IMO.