Which Biochemistry course should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kay5

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m trying to select courses for my next semester and had some questions about biochemistry. My original plan was to take biochemistry over the summer and study for and take the MCAT in August (I will be entering junior year). However, I think the course will get moved online for the summer term and I feel like it won’t be as beneficial.

If I take biochemistry over the school year, my university offers two biochemistry paths. One is a shortened (in terms of content), one semester course. The other would be two semesters, but much more in-depth. In terms of workload, the one semester course seems easier. Would the two semester course better prepare me for the MCAT and medical school making the extra work worth it? Or would the one semester course be fine?

Members don't see this ad.

One semester is more than enough for the MCAT

Many schools offer one semester of biochemistry and have plenty of success with their applicants matriculating to medical school. The AAMC outline for biochemistry is clearly designed for a one semester length course. That being said, if you are interested in two semesters of biochemistry, or find it beneficial to have a more in-depth course to better understand the concepts, I don’t see a downside. If I were in your position, I would do the one semester course if there were other courses I wanted to take in the winter and it wouldn’t change the timing of your MCAT. If there aren’t, I would take the two semester course because who knows, maybe the two semester course helps you answer a discreet question that 90% of other test takers would miss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses! If biochemistry ends up being offered online over the summer, would it be okay to take that and then the MCAT at the end of the summer? I have finished all of the other prerequisites. Or would it be best to take it fall semester in person and take the MCAT winter or spring?

Entirely depends on you, your goals and your learning style. Given the pandemic, I don’t think an online biochemistry course would be held against you. For me, an online course wouldn’t work because I need consistent deadlines and structure. As for whether or not you can finish biochemistry summer term and sit for the MCAT in September and be ready is up to your level of content knowledge/test taking skills and how much you can accomplish in a short amount of time. I had a friend finish all prereqs in 12 months, studied for the MCAT over 5 weeks full time and scored in the 99th percentile. I needed to study for four months before I was ready for the MCAT but I was also working full time.

Think about which combination will put you in the best possible position to do well in your classes and the MCAT. Having a dedicated MCAT period is very useful, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I also have this question. I need to take Biochemistry but, due to the virus, Rutgers only has an online class for the summer. Is it worth taking the class? I guess calling the schools I'm applying to that require it is the best idea?

I also have this question. I need to take Biochemistry but, due to the virus, Rutgers only has an online class for the summer. Is it worth taking the class? I guess calling the schools I'm applying to that require it is the best idea?

see post above.

1. Def reach out to the schools. Most will be very accommodating in these extraordinary circumstances.
2. I would do it. Is Peter Kahn still there? Dude is awesome. Like learning Biochem from Gandalf. Such a great speaker.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors