Which biology courses are most helpful for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdsweetie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which 2 of these biology courses would help most for the MCAT?

1) Biochem
2) Animal Physiology
3) Eukaryotic cell & developmental biology
4) Microbiology

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Even I'm gonna have to be a meanie and say "learn to use search". I'm new to this forum and i've seen at least 6 of these threads already...

For me, I loved Molec. and Cell biology. I personally feel I'm getting 15's on the bio section on practices because of it. You learn all the systems so in depth, the MCAT is just a review of the basics.

For alot of others, Genetics seems to be the pick to take as most helpful. But if you had to choose from the list you have have. I guess Biochem, and microbiology...

Members don't see this ad :)
Even I'm gonna have to be a meanie and say "learn to use search". I'm new to this forum and i've seen at least 6 of these threads already...

For me, I loved Molec. and Cell biology. I personally feel I'm getting 15's on the bio section on practices because of it. You learn all the systems so in depth, the MCAT is just a review of the basics.

For alot of others, Genetics seems to be the pick to take as most helpful. But if you had to choose from the list you have have. I guess Biochem, and microbiology...

Thanks for the info! There are various upper-div MCD classes at my school.

Of these cell bio classes, which do you think would be most useful:

1) Intro to cell biology
Analysis of cell organization, structure, and function at molecular level. Cell membranes and organelles, membrane transport, cellular signaling, cytoskeleton and cell movement, intracellular trafficking, cell energetics.

2) Cell Biology: Cell Cycle
Eukaryotic cellular structures and biogenesis at molecular level. Biochemical and genetic analysis of cell cycle, signal transduction, and their involvement in development and cancer. Protein sorting and transport across cell membranes. Cytoskeletal components and cell-adhesion.

3) Molecular Biology
Structure of genes and chromosomes; prokaryotic and eukaryotic replication and transcription; repair and recombination; RNA processing.

Or alternatively, instead of taking any upper-division biology courses could I learn all the information I need from the MCAT from the princeton review hyperlearning biology book? What do you recommend?

thanks

I was actually thankful that I took my mammalian physiology class. A lot of the memorization and bulk of studying for MCAT (close 50% if not more) is all out of physio. I'm just happy that I learned all this stuff just last semester and that Id on't need anything more than a review or a re-read to brush up on things. It allows me to concentrate me efforts on other stuff.

There are other threads on this topic and I've seen that most people say Physiology is the best class to take. And after taking the MCAT, i agree with them.