Which Biology should I take next - as BIO brush-up and MCAT beneficial...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nixm01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I plan to take the MCAT over the next 2 semesters, but I have a small issue that I was hoping you could give me some advice on; I haven't taken a biology in over 3 years.

After coming back from a business degree, I am definitely a little rusty when it comes to biology. I was planning on re-taking general Bio II, but the head of admissions at the medical school I plan to go do said not to since I didn't fail it/need to - which I agree would be wasting time and money.

Well now I have time to take at least one more BIOS before I start getting ready for MCAT and I am not sure what biology I can throw in the mix for myself that would help refresh on the basics and be beneficial for me on the MCAT.

So, for those of you who have taken all/most of the BIOS and MCAT, would you please look at the below list of the ones that I can pick from to add to my next semester (I will need to take all of these eventually anyways):

Genetics
General Microbiology
Botany
Ecology
Human Physiology
Human Anatomy

I have heard Physiology was very helpful and I would like to take that for sure; but this class is pretty "easy" at my school so I would definitely like to take another bio as well to help be brush up...

Thanks guys,
nixm01

Members don't see this ad.

that was my impression as well. I have already gotten my Bio MCAT parts and I'll look through it to check on the genetics area to see how I feel about it. I was actually excited to take that class so we'll see.

thanks for your imput.

I can tell you for sure that Ecology and Botany will be a waste of time. Other courses are somewhat helpful, but I don't want to give an assessment since I haven't taken all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physiology, hands-down. Not only because it has the potential to help you in the bio section, but it also has the potential to help you in the PS section. The trend these days seems to be to question you about physics concepts, etc, using physiological models (ie. you might have questions about fluid dynamics or pressure in the context of cardiovascular physiology).

Second choice: either biochem or genetics.

Edit: If you can, take a "real" (upper-level) physio course (ie. where equations are actually used to explain concepts) instead of a memorization-intensive lower-level physio course.

UPDATE:

Thanks for each and every response to me question. I just got done with Physics I and II over the summer (making straight A's) and am on a short break before fall semester, then spring semester, then MCAT!

I took all your advice and am taking Human Physiology and Microbiology this Fall semester starting in a few days, and then Genetics next semester (right before MCAT).

After 5 years away from general biology and being VERY rusty on the concepts, do you guys believe that human phys, micro and genetics will be enough biology to get me to a safe point when starting my study for the MCAT?

I'm also going to taking a 1 credit molecular biology medical seminar course (on medical based research).

If you guys think I may need even more under the belt to refresh myself, I still have the option to take the following biology classes:

Cell Bio
Molecular Bio
Medical Microbiology
Embryology
Immunology
Endocrinology
Zoology
Botany (I know, worthless)