Which Book to Buy???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've decided not to take Physics this summer but finish up my distribution requirements at home. Along with that, I am going to start preparing for the MCAT on my own at home also. Which book would you recommend I buy? Does anyone have any study tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still in the studying stages for the August MCAT so this isn't a proven strategy, but I seems to be working pretty well. Here are the three books you need.

1. MCAT Student Manual from the AAMC. This publication lists exactly what you need to learn.

2. Complete Preparation for the MCAT 2001 by lippincott Williams & Wilkins (formally the Betz Guide). Of all the books I've looked at this one follows #1 most closely.

3. Kaplan Comprehensive review or the Princeton & Flowers book. I have the former. I use this book to back up #2 and to get a different explanation when needed.

Other then the above you may want to get some practice tests for later.

Hope this helps.
RE

I also concur:
-all practice material from amcas (particularly test 3-6)
-I would recommend the hyperlearning big book of science review and the hyperlearning workbook from Princeton review
-I also recommend any test you can get your hands on, this worked for me
check oout ebay: Last year I bought all the kaplan test (make sure buy them with solutions) and I had all the princeton review (481-484 and A-D, don't bother with 485-486), I also used berkley which I thought were good for verbal (passages were rediculously long....)

Buy Kaplan--take as many practice tests as possible. Practice your timing on each section.