Which Caribbean medical school do you think is the best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

notarealname

Old Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys and gals,

Please tell me which medical school you think is the best in Caribbean. I personally think Ross is the best, since it got best USML step 1 pass rate.

Are you in a Caribbean medical school right now? Please say anything about your school here to help me decide where I want to go.

Thank you for helping!
 
Please tell me which medical school you think is the best in Caribbean.

I say St. George's. It has the best reputation and the closest stats to US MD schools. Stats such as USMLE passing rates, AVERAGE score on USMLE (i think this stat is more important than the passing rates), attrition rate (Ross is 30-something% last time i checked), etc.

Not to mention, the better facilities.

Only CON to St Georges is the $$$. That being said, i think St Georges is the clear winner.
 
My standard answer on this

SGU=AUC=ROSS=SABA

each can get all 50 states, each has good points each has bad points

Just look into each one and see what you like

Asking us is really not going to help as much as you doing the research.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My standard answer on this

SGU=AUC=ROSS=SABA

each can get all 50 states, each has good points each has bad points

Just look into each one and see what you like

Asking us is really not going to help as much as you doing the research.

I think if you eliminate the cost factor, SGU wins.

Why were mom and dad not independently wealthy, why?:meanie:
 
I think SGU because of the 100 million bucks they spent for clinical rotation spots for third and fourth year students... I think they have the most graduates out there which could mean a better network if you play your cards out right.

I definitely think the campus and facilities matter too, and if you look at the pics SGU easily takes the cake

moneyyyy......... derrrr you'lll make it up soon enough right???
 
As far as Carribean school goes SGU>AUC>SABA>ROSS> no Cali approval yet -MUA>AUA>SMU. I put ROSS at the end simply because they have lots of problems when they get into clinicals, many students complain about not having a spot or having to wait a long time to get a spot into clinical rotations.Also if you fail one class, you have to repeat the whole semester. SGU has a better reputation but the costs just doesn't seem worth it, because you can get the same education in SABA for less than half of what SGU costs. The second tier schools I put down MUA and AUA because they have been approved by the NY board of education but have not gone through approval of California. I chose MUA>AUA because MUA have been around longer with more residents and lower tuition. As for SMU, they have been around for awhile has NY approval but failed California approval.
 
I say AUC but I guess I would since I go here. I really have had some good professors here so far and don't have any regrets coming here versus the other caribbean schools, so far. We have our issues just like everybody else but overall I have very satisfied.
 
The one that accepts you 😛

Seriously, the 50 state schools will get you to the same place because going to SGU will not make you INDIVIDUALLY more competitive and going to Spartan will not stop you from killing the USMLE and scoring a competitive residency.
 
I have to say SGU, but then again, I am an SGU grad. One of the big selling points would be the clinical rotations. Your 3rd year will definetely be all at one institution and very likely you could set your whole 4th yr up at the same institution if you wanted to. I think that assurance would be hard to get from the other carib schools. You do pay more but look at the average med school debt...SGU is not that far off.
 
I have to say SGU, but then again, I am an SGU grad. One of the big selling points would be the clinical rotations. Your 3rd year will definetely be all at one institution and very likely you could set your whole 4th yr up at the same institution if you wanted to. I think that assurance would be hard to get from the other carib schools. You do pay more but look at the average med school debt...SGU is not that far off.

Only 50k or more overall.
 
Well, I don't know if SGU is really 50 K more than other schools, the ave US med student comes out w/ 100K of loans but many schools have ave closer to 150K which is what SGU will be after all is said and done. So, really, it is not that far off US schools.
 
Well, I don't know if SGU is really 50 K more than other schools, the ave US med student comes out w/ 100K of loans but many schools have ave closer to 150K which is what SGU will be after all is said and done. So, really, it is not that far off US schools.

It's between 250k-275k on loans for SGU, so it is that far off.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah it's pretty far off from state schools and in-state tuitions. I don't believe it's far off from the average tuition for private med schools in the US.
 
Well when I say I have borrowed 150 k so far it includes living, my tuition is only around 100k when done with around 70 to 75 for living for about 4 years, 1200 a month.
 
250-275K ??? That is a whopping amount. Yes, there are students that probably have that much in loans but the tuition for SGU plus fees comes out to around 30K per yr x 5 yrs (it is 4 yrs school but the ability to borrow 5 yrs worth of tuition). That comes to around 150K for to pay for tuition and fees. Some private US schools do have tuition around this amount so that is the basis I use to say that it is not that far off from some US schools.
 
Please check your facts before posting.

According to this page, the tuition and fees alone are about $185,000.

That does not include living expenses or anything else that you will need to spend money on in Grenada and in the US (during clinicals).

http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/financial-aid-Tuition.html

Even if rent/utilities and food are only 1200 per month (which it won't because it costs much more than that to live in NYC)... It it already at $242,000...

Don't post outdated or false information as fact....



250-275K ??? That is a whopping amount. Yes, there are students that probably have that much in loans but the tuition for SGU plus fees comes out to around 30K per yr x 5 yrs (it is 4 yrs school but the ability to borrow 5 yrs worth of tuition). That comes to around 150K for to pay for tuition and fees. Some private US schools do have tuition around this amount so that is the basis I use to say that it is not that far off from some US schools.
 
Yeah, I guess SGU has become more expensive since I went. The total is
180K for tuition and fees. Saba is significantly cheaper. Ross is somewhat cheaper, the website notes for 10 semesters somewhere around 150K. With SGU, you are paying more for the clinical rotations. They are just set up better than at ROSS and Saba. For some, that maybe worth it. But it is definetely true that one likely will get to the same end w/ any of the 3 schools. I still stand by the statement that some private US schools will have tuition and fees just as expensive as SGU.
 
Yeah, I guess SGU has become more expensive since I went. The total is
180K for tuition and fees. Saba is significantly cheaper. Ross is somewhat cheaper, the website notes for 10 semesters somewhere around 150K. With SGU, you are paying more for the clinical rotations. They are just set up better than at ROSS and Saba. For some, that maybe worth it. But it is definetely true that one likely will get to the same end w/ any of the 3 schools. I still stand by the statement that some private US schools will have tuition and fees just as expensive as SGU.

S.G.U. is not a good investment. $275,000 debt is very common for S.G.U. graduates. If graduating four years from now, it'll be over $300,000 easily.

There are indeed about 4 - 5 good, less-known schools in the Caribbean that are cheaper ($150,000) and with three drawbacks that in my opinion, are very minor. Firstly, one cannot practice in all 50 states. 45 - 47 is the norm for these schools. Secondly, the clinical rotations have a little hassle involved. The quality of the rotations is good but a student may have to move once in two years. Lastly, federal funds are unavailable. However, private loans with a reasonable interest rate can be easily obtained for most people.

If I had a choice to make, mine would be the cheaper schools. $150,000 more (which is $450,000 over a thirty-year pay-back period or $15,000 per fiscal year) for a slightly better education and clinical spots is simply madness. In the end one will be an M.D. with a lot less debt to worry about.
 
if you do not want the debt then become a nurse..............................(I do not like nursing anymore)
 
S.G.U. is not a good investment. $275,000 debt is very common for S.G.U. graduates. If graduating four years from now, it'll be over $300,000 easily.

There are indeed about 4 - 5 good, less-known schools in the Caribbean that are cheaper ($150,000) and with three drawbacks that in my opinion, are very minor. Firstly, one cannot practice in all 50 states. 45 - 47 is the norm for these schools. Secondly, the clinical rotations have a little hassle involved. The quality of the rotations is good but a student may have to move once in two years. Lastly, federal funds are unavailable. However, private loans with a reasonable interest rate can be easily obtained for most people.

If I had a choice to make, mine would be the cheaper schools. $150,000 more (which is $450,000 over a thirty-year pay-back period or $15,000 per fiscal year) for a slightly better education and clinical spots is simply madness. In the end one will be an M.D. with a lot less debt to worry about.

Do they have 30 year repayment options?

With $300,000 in loan debt, a starting family physician making $150,000/yr is going to have some lean years ahead:

$300,000 loan, 6.8% interest (current Stafford):
10 year repayment: $3452/month (total: $414,289; interest alone: $114,289)

20 year repayment: $2290/month (total: $549,604; interest $249,604)

30 year repayment: $1956/month (total: $704,076; interest $404,076)

----
$250,000 loan, 6.8% interest:
10 year repayment: 2877/month (total: 345,241; interest alone $95,241)

20 year repayment: 1908/month (total: 458,003; interest $208,003)

30 year repayment: 1630/month (total: 586,735; interest $336,735)

---
$200,000 loan, 6.8% interest:
10 year repayment: 2302/month (total 276,200; interest alone 76,200)

20 year repayment: 1527/month (total 366,403; interest 166,403)

30 year repayment: 1304/month (total 469,386; interest 269,386)
----

$150,000 loan, 6.8% interest:
10 year repayment: 1726/month (total 207,145; interest alone 57,145)

20 year repayment: 1145/month (total 274,802; interest 124,802)

30 year repayment: 978/month (total 352,038; interest 202,038)
 
6.8%? The interest rates are more like 8% currently Mine are around 7.5% currently

LOL Yea a lot of $$$$$$$$$$
 
6.8%? The interest rates are more like 8% currently Mine are around 7.5% currently

LOL Yea a lot of $$$$$$$$$$


I used Stafford as an approximation. All of my numbers are just approximations. But they did provide me a ballpark idea, so I thought I'd post them. I'm guessing that most students have already done similar calculations on their own.
 
Do they have 30 year repayment options?

With $300,000 in loan debt, a starting family physician making $150,000/yr is going to have some lean years ahead:

$300,000 loan, 6.8% interest (current Stafford):
10 year repayment: $3452/month (total: $414,289; interest alone: $114,289)

20 year repayment: $2290/month (total: $549,604; interest $249,604)

30 year repayment: $1956/month (total: $704,076; interest $404,076)

----
$250,000 loan, 6.8% interest:
10 year repayment: 2877/month (total: 345,241; interest alone $95,241)

20 year repayment: 1908/month (total: 458,003; interest $208,003)

30 year repayment: 1630/month (total: 586,735; interest $336,735)

---
$200,000 loan, 6.8% interest:
10 year repayment: 2302/month (total 276,200; interest alone 76,200)

20 year repayment: 1527/month (total 366,403; interest 166,403)

30 year repayment: 1304/month (total 469,386; interest 269,386)
----

$150,000 loan, 6.8% interest:
10 year repayment: 1726/month (total 207,145; interest alone 57,145)

20 year repayment: 1145/month (total 274,802; interest 124,802)

30 year repayment: 978/month (total 352,038; interest 202,038)

Plus undergraduate loans which average $45,000 for those starting medical school.
 
SGU Class of 2000

Full boat loans + $25000 from undergrad.

Current payoff is $252,000

Staffords $155,000 at 3.6
Private loans $97000 vary from 4.5 to 6.5, were as high as 8.3%

With the interest rate cuts, it makes more sense to pay down my second mortgage than these low interest loans. I had an attending with loan rates at 18% when he was in residency. Dr. Ross in Virginia- director of a PMR hospital. Even so, he is doing well and no more loans (10-12 years in practice and they were all paid off (I think)). great guy, bad rates.
 
Another forum that is full of Caribbean students/grads that can answer your questions is valuemd.com

I would also look at each school's web site and not only check out pass rates, but also quality of life, facilities, professors, matches, etc. Then you can make a more informed decision on where to apply. Good luck.