1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Which chapters can be ignored in a gen bio text?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Lawgiver, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Lawgiver

Lawgiver Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    So I finished my bio sequence a while back having created flash cards for every single vocab term. Once I start studying for mcat, I obviously will want to skip some of the chapters. The text my school used was Campbell Reece 9th. Table of cont can be found here.

I plan on skipping all the plant stuff, ch 29,30 and 35-39.

and all the ecology stuff ch 52-56

Anything else I should skip or not skip?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You should not be using text books to study for the MCAT at all. Review books by testing companies exist for a good reason. 99% of what is in a general bio textbook is well beyond the detail of info you will ever be tested on in the MCAT. The MCAT isn't some test based off facts and memorization of the most obscure ones you can find.

moneyking, daftypatty and Ad2b like this.
  4. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    100% what Grapes said.

5. Lawgiver

Lawgiver Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    Thanks nerds. But youre wrong. Besides, my question wasn't about study tactics it was about subject matter.

#4 Lawgiver, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  6. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Uhh same thing applies as above dude. You're wasting your time reading a textbook. Read what the MCAT focuses on specifically which is what the review books are for not thousand page text books which a) are mostly on subjects the MCAT could give 2 s---'s about b) are in waaaayyyy too much depth and detail even for subjects the MCAT cares about(ie memorizing structures of the enzymes in the Krebs Cycle as one of a million examples).

7. El-Rami

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Assuming you're serious, I'm just going to say focus on things like cell biology, hormones, organ systems, and metabolism. Just think about what each organ system does and how they relate to each other physiologically but focus on the broad concepts. One thing I've noticed on practice exams is that most of the information is given to you in passages, so it isn't very beneficial to know things in every single detail like you would for an upper-level science course. As long as you understand the broad concepts and know your math/formulas, you're set.

Lawgiver likes this.
  8. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    @GrapesofRath - look at old posts ... :troll: he / she is not looking for real help.

GrapesofRath likes this.
  9. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student

Welp yeah I fell for that one nothing much to say there lol

Ad2b likes this.