Which Chicago General Surgery Program!??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runeofmajesty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All! I just wanted to get your opinions on the Chicago general surgery residency progarms as rank lists are due soon!!

I interviewed at all 5 academic programs: Rush, Loyola, Northwestern, University of Chicago (U of C), and UIC. Assuming that I'm competitive for all of these programs, what do you think are some of the pluses and minuses of the programs?

Rush seemed to have a great experience as their surgeons operate a LOT at Cook County, including on their trauma service (though that comes with increased scut work). Also, their new hospital was gorgeous. They also go to Skokie Northshore, but are lacking an intrinsic skills lab. Their residents were probably the happiest/coolest of the batch.

Loyola seems like a solid program with great OR experience, and not as malignant (IMO) seeming as rumor had told. Research is optional here, and they go to Hines VA and are level 1 trauma. They get good operative volumes and just opened a brand new clinical skills center.

U of C also goes to County for trauma, but they seem a LOT more research heavy. They say that 2 years of research there is "optional," but I've heard that you're basically expected to do research there, and the first interview question I was asked by their chairman was "what do you want to do in the lab?" Their new hospital seems like it will be really cool, too. Also, they seem to do about 100-150 less cases than the other programs.

Northwestern is also research heavy, with 4/5 residents doing 2 years in the lab. Seemed like it was less flexible with research than other programs. However, surgical education and the apprenticeship model seemed great there.

UIC has optional research and does a lot of trauma at Christ (actually the busiest trauma center in chicago). The residents admit it is a hard program at times and that it is more "individual" there than other programs. However, they say you can operate like nobody else when you are done.

So, they all seem like great programs and they all match to great fellowships. Any opinions and/or advice?! Ready....GO!

Members don't see this ad.

this thread died too fast :(

I'm also interested in what the Chicago programs have to offer - case load, complexity, autonomy, research, etc. - and would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'd also really appreciate any info on the programs in Chicago. For example, I've heard Northwestern puts a big emphasis on the prestige of applicants' home programs, does anyone know if that's true? Thanks.