Which city would you live/work in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
air conditioning. The winters are awesome. I can ride my bike most days. Tucson gets significantly cooler at night and doesn't stay as hot because there is less development. We also don't have as many 110 degree days as Phoenix.

But, yeah. To a n00b, the heat can be scary. Stuff melts...even the asphalt. I used to play with melted mounds of asphalt on the side of the road when I was a kid. I lived in the ghetto- don't hate. You can get 2nd degree burns from your seat belt. You shouldn't use lotion products with glycerin because it's so dry, the glycerin actually pulls more moisture from your skin and dries you out. You get easily sunburned if you're fair skinned. You should drink almost twice the amount of water as people in other places when it's summer, even if you're not actively working out. Your sweat evaporates quickly. You don't have to use a dryer for your laundry in summer (they dry in minutes). And my favorite-- even plastic melts when left in your car in summer. I think I told this story before but once my debit card literally melted to my console in my car. That was when I lived in Phoenix.

People can live in it but it sucks for a few months out of the year. What makes it worth it (in Tucson at least) are the amazing monsoon storms, breathtaking sunsets, interesting wildlife (coyotes and javelina traipsing through the neighborhoods as one example), REAL mexican food, mild winters with TONS of outdoor activities, and the science/health community who are really into sustainability/conservation, border health issues and telemedicine, health inequities/disparities, geology, native american health, astronomy, and wildlife protection. There is always some exciting lecture on these topics with leaders in the field. The pharmacy school has a strong presence in the community too; various organizations and communities often ask us to be a part of things. Pharmacists can do a lot here. It's pretty exciting.

If I leave Tucson, I'll probably want to buy a winter home here. This place is near and dear to my heart.

Yeah I've definitely heard the winters are awesome, and it's really just a few months in the summer that are bad. It's still crazy to me that the low can be in the 80s! But yeah, what draws me to Arizona is definitely more outdoors stuff to do, and the "vibe" seems different from NYC (but then, I think the same thing about LA and San Diego too).

It's funny, I was considering applying to UoA, but after the wedding, I told everyone I crossed it off (half joking). :meanie:
 
I've declared a state that has no taxes as my home. So it doesn't matter where I work, I won't be taxed. But yea, I have albuquerque as #1, phoenix and tucson tied for #2.

ah i didn't know you could do that...don't know your job situation. in my world, income earned in CA is taxed in CA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Austin is awesome for the young upward mobile. I just got back from there and had a blast. Spent 2 evenings hanging out around 6th street, live music every night, drink some beer, get the talking with other people also having a good time. The undergrads are still doing the same stuff I used to do here, lol.

The only thing not to like is that the traffic is much worse than it should be for a medium sized city.
 
Last edited: