Which class should I take or should I even take a class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peregrino

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up a do-it-yourself post-bacc, and I would also like to take at least one more science class before MCAT and applying. I was thinking about taking either an endocrinology or introductory immunology course. Both courses are taught at the same 4-year school; however, the endocrinology course is taught online with proctored tests; the immunology class is in-person. The university at which these are taught is about 35 miles away, and the commute to get there would be about 60-85 minutes as I would be driving with rush-hour traffic.

I have never taken an endocrinology course, but I did take an immunology class at another college around 2010; I got a B but that school does not give out +/- grades. I have nearly all of the material.

If I were to take one of these courses, could anyone recommend one or the other as far as usefulness on, say, the MCAT or general science knowledge?

Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken all other pre-requisites and done well? If so don’t take either course and instead use the money to get a MCAT study course of some kind. Usually there’s like a chapter dedicated to endocrinology/immuno stuff that will teach you the high yield stuff for each of these topics. IMO i wouldn’t waste the money/time on a class that’s so far away if I could just get MCAT prep books (assuming it’s feasible for you) that teach you the material from these subjects that’s tested on the MCAT.

I am finishing up a do-it-yourself post-bacc, and I would also like to take at least one more science class before MCAT and applying. I was thinking about taking either an endocrinology or introductory immunology course. Both courses are taught at the same 4-year school; however, the endocrinology course is taught online with proctored tests; the immunology class is in-person. The university at which these are taught is about 35 miles away, and the commute to get there would be about 60-85 minutes as I would be driving with rush-hour traffic.

I have never taken an endocrinology course, but I did take an immunology class at another college around 2010; I got a B but that school does not give out +/- grades. I have nearly all of the material.

If I were to take one of these courses, could anyone recommend one or the other as far as usefulness on, say, the MCAT or general science knowledge?

Thanks..
Take the online as the commute will make your life miserable. AND, we're in the pandemic (even if tail end) and so online courses aren't an app killer. Most med schools in fact, are still online.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you taken all other pre-requisites and done well? If so don’t take either course and instead use the money to get a MCAT study course of some kind. Usually there’s like a chapter dedicated to endocrinology/immuno stuff that will teach you the high yield stuff for each of these topics. IMO i wouldn’t waste the money/time on a class that’s so far away if I could just get MCAT prep books (assuming it’s feasible for you) that teach you the material from these subjects that’s tested on the MCAT.
Usually the upper level classes have very minimal impact if any to help you in the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the reason behind taking the course? You've already taken Immuno so just don't do that. Take endo if you're truly interested in it as a subject. If not, skip it and as someone else mentioned, an MCAT study course will do more to boost your MCAT score than any single upper level science course will.

I have taken all the prerequisites plus lots of upper division and advanced biomed and chem courses. I mostly wanted to take these because I thought it might help on the MCAT and be a slight GPA boost and general interest.

Last edited:
What is the reason behind taking the course? You've already taken Immuno so just don't do that. Take endo if you're truly interested in it as a subject. If not, skip it and as someone else mentioned, an MCAT study course will do more to boost your MCAT score than any single upper level science course will.

MCAT prep and GPA boost and general interest. I am fascinated by the links between hormones, gut microbiome, disease, the immune system, and nutrition and diet.

Take the online as the commute will make your life miserable. AND, we're in the pandemic (even if tail end) and so online courses aren't an app killer. Most med schools in fact, are still online.

Yes, the commute is horrible. I took most of my prereqs in-person there before the pandemic, and it was tiring.

You've already taken Immuno so just don't do that.
I last took immunology 12 years ago and there have been advances in the field. That’s one reason for retaking it, but I understand your point.

… as someone else mentioned, an MCAT study course will do more to boost your MCAT score than any single upper level science course will.
I am taking an MCAT course plus Khan Academy.

Last edited:
I have taken all the prerequisites plus lots of upper division and advanced biomed and chem courses. I mostly wanted to take these because I thought it might help on the MCAT and be a slight GPA boost and general interest.
I mean if it’s for general interest then go for it. But if it’s out of the way and costly you might be better off just getting the chapters for that from a MCAT study course

I last took immunology 12 years ago and there have been advances in the field. That’s one reason for retaking it, but I understand your point.
While I see where you're coming from, we all take our courses as undergrads and med students and there are advances in all those fields. The fields we are interested in or practice are the areas that we continue to learn about by pulling from primary literature. As I'm sure you're aware, that's a lot of the point of CME. In fact, I just finished my quarterly CME requirements last Friday which involved reading 2 recent articles and answering questions about them online.

In my opinion, if you're interested in that field, you already have the knowledge base. If you want to be up to date, it makes more sense to just buy a recent text and read it and/or go on pubmed and read the pertinent articles. I feel it's not worth it to pay however much to just get a repeat/refresher with some updated information.

So, I attended a medical school open house at a sister school to the one at which I am taking post-bacc courses. The dean of admissions for that medical school told me that I must have my prerequisites within 6 years. Most of my prerequisites are are already within the six-year window period, with the exception of one physics class (electricity and optics) and organic chemistry lab. I have already retaken the lecture portion of organic chemistry and gotten an A. However, the lab part of the class is offered separately and at that time conficted with my work schedule. The last time I took physics with optics and electricity was around 2008 and I got an A.

I have the opportunity to retake the electricity and optics physics class this quarter and take the organic laboratory during the summer. As posted above, I also have the opportunity to take an endocrinology course this quarter. The endocrinology is typically only offered in the Spring quarter.

So, now I am trying to choose between retake of physics and optics or endocrinology now, and whether I should take the second organic chemistry lab this summer?

I am studying for the MCAT, so I don't want to overload myself: I want to earn A grades and go well on the MCAT. while continuing to work. I have cut back my work hours a bit. I will probably take the MCAT later this summer for a 2023 application cycle. Given my stats, a high MCAT score and a high GPA are more important to me than applying early.

Just a follow-up. I chose, with the above advice and Goro's advice, to take the endocrinology course. And I love the material; it is so fascinating. Never have I seen this sort of class offered at any other 4-year school in my area, so I am glad to be able to take endocrinology at this time. Thanks, everyone and thanks @Goro.

Reactions: 1 user