Which class will better prepare me for Calculus 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miabullitt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I right now have college algebra under my belt, but need to take either Trig or Pre-Calc to take Calc 1.

Having shoddy algebra skills ( took it 2 years ago) which class would better prepare me?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Algebra. You're not going to get through calc with shoddy algebra skills. I would take pre-calc and practice your algebra there.

Trig is hilarious because I don't get why it's even a subject. I could teach all the trig you need to know in about two hours.

I would say pre-calc. Depending on your school/professor there might not be much trig in calc 1 anyway.

I agree with the above two...it's probably most important that you get a decent algebra foundation. It's my understanding that pre-calc covers the necessary trig concepts anyway, right?

When I started calc with a less-than-ideal background, it was algebra that I had to spend a week or two retraining myself in. There was some trig I had to relearn along the way, but I would have been lost had I not beefed up my algebra.