How bad would it look to take general biology I at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philodendr0n

Reaction score
I know this question is asked a lot, but I’ve seen mixed answers so I’m a little confused. Some people say you shouldn’t take science/math prereqs under any circumstance at a community college if you attend a four-year college for all 4 years, while others say just a couple would be okay. I am taking the rest of my prereqs at a four-year college. I just want to knock out gen bio I because I won’t have enough room for it in my schedule next year (I’m taking a gap year and start college next fall). Would this be okay, or should I try my best to squeeze it in at the four year? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I took every single prereq science course at community college. Granted I was non traditional, but one class at CC will not hurt you at all.

Seriously you are overthinking it you will be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
n=1, but I took Calculus I, Microbiology, Psychology 101, and Sociology 101 at a 2-year community college while earning my AS degree.

It came up exactly zero times during my admissions cycle interviews and post-A feedback sessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you get a good grade, you will be fine. You could even knock off another prereq (or two!) before starting college.

Reactions: 1 user
I think taking one prerequisite at a community college would be perfectly fine; however, the majority of your prerequisite courses should be taken at a 4-year university.

Reactions: 1 user
n=1, but I took Calculus I, Microbiology, Psychology 101, and Sociology 101 at a 2-year community college while earning my AS degree.

It came up exactly zero times during my admission’s cycle interviews and post-A feedback sessions.
To add onto this, I took literally all of my pre-reqs at a CC prior to transferring. I’ve had a pretty successful cycle so far and it’s only come up negatively at 1 interview (Hopkins). If you’re not hyper focused on going to a Top 5/10 school, it probably won’t matter too much. Of course, this is provided that you have a reason for taking the classes at a CC, and you’re not trying to get out of difficult classes at your 4-year

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know this question is asked a lot, but I’ve seen mixed answers so I’m a little confused. Some people say you shouldn’t take science/math prereqs under any circumstance at a community college if you attend a four-year college for all 4 years, while others say just a couple would be okay. I am taking the rest of my prereqs at a four-year college. I just want to knock out gen bio I because I won’t have enough room for it in my schedule next year (I’m taking a gap year and start college next fall). Would this be okay, or should I try my best to squeeze it in at the four year? Thanks.
No one will care

Reactions: 1 users
Just wondering, do admissions look down if someone does not take any English classes if they received AP credit for them regardless of the fact that the admission page states that they accept AP credit for such prerequisites?

Just wondering, do admissions look down if someone does not take any English classes if they received AP credit for them regardless of the fact that the admission page states that they accept AP credit for such prerequisites?
I'd have to see your transcripts. I wouldn't think it would be an issue so long as I know how your undergrad fulfills a composition class (could be av seminar your freshman year).

I'm currently taking a gap year and start college in the Fall. Due to my major (radiation sciences), I need to take few classes at community college this semester because being radiation sciences severely
restricts the amount of free space in my schedule that I have for med school prereqs. See my schedule attached (blue courses are prereqs for entering the radiation sciences program and must be completed freshman year). I will take biochemistry after I graduate.

59643EDD-AD38-46FD-B7D6-9B57AD27961C.jpeg

Intro to Biological Sciences II requires that Gen Chem I be completed, which I cannot fit in the fall semester of my freshman year, so I decided that I would take it at a CC this semester. The problem is, the only professor with a good rating is doing an online lecture with the lab portion in person. I'm not sure if it would show up as an online course on my transcript, but I'm concerned that it would look bad to AOs if it did.

Additionally, I must take A+P I and Il at a community college because it is a very disorganized and poorly taught class at my university. Most people in the rad sci program take it at a CC. I'm also concerned this would look bad to AOs. What do y'all think? How bad does this all look? Thanks :)

Why did you make a second thread with basically the same question that was asked in the first?

Additionally, I must take A+P I and Il at a community college because it is a very disorganized and poorly taught class at my university. Most people in the rad sci program take it at a CC. I'm also concerned this would look bad to AOs. What do y'all think? How bad does this all look? Thanks :)
I have merged your threads together to consolidate the discussion.