which classes would help the most

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of the classes listed below worth squeezing into my schedule for the MCATs?

1. Genetics
2. Cellular and Molecular Biology
3. Biophysics
4. Immunology

thanks,

nero

Members don't see this ad.

1.Cell and molecular bio-(heavily covered on the MCAT)
2.Genetics-(if you have the time, somewhat covered on the mcat, although its covered from more of a molecular genetics approach as opposed to mendelian)

i wouldn't bother with the other two. All of the physics you need to know would have been covered in a basic physics class, and immunology is a little beyond the scope of the test. Hope this helps.

I'd try to squeeze in either Genetics or Cellular and Molecular Bio, but I'm sure you'll do fine on the MCAT even if you can't squeeze them in.

Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd fit biochem in if I were you.

Hell, I would fit everything in! My first passage for Bio on last April MCAT was a totally-cool-super-easy-ace-in-da-hole Immuno passage, followed by the same ****-i-can't-beblieve-I-am-this-lucky Virie passage. The rest was biochem and molecular bio! But if I would have to pic just one class from your list...Molecular Bio! It rocks!

Mol. and cell biology. IF you want more, toss in genetics. 'nuff said. :cool: :cool:

Thanks alot for everybody's responses. I have already scheduled Bio chem and anatomy in before the MCAT, and will also do cell and molec and genetics.

thanks for all the help

nero

nero, seems like what you've scheduled is fine...biochem is very important and in all honesty, an interesting class anyway...cell and molec. is also a good base to have...

are you a sophomore because at my coll. cell/molec is generally done that year...hence, i had an advanced molec course as a junior which gave me, in my opinion, an UNFAIR advantage on the MCAT (cuz, my prof tried to teach it at a grad school level)...

while genetics will help, i have an odd suggestion for you that helped my buddy...he was very courageous and decided to take histo the fall before thew MCAT, which most of the premeds at my school take senior year so they can place out of it in med school (that's what i'm doing next semester)...but in histo he learned so much about the human body -and I mean serious detail...menstrual cycle on a higher level, hormones, all that... he ended up with a 14 on the bio...

so, if you can take a histo or even a cell phys course (friends in there did well too) it might be a good idea. i say overdo it, better safe than sorry!

of course, class won't make you a good test-taker...that's a given and you'll hear that from everybody...but knowing this stuff on a higher level means it's easier for you to recognize when you see it...meaning less time to think about it...meaning who needs the passages they give you...meaning MCAT success!