Which course timeline would be best for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a sophomore now, and I am just planning some of my courses for the spring semester of sophomore year and junior year. I want to take the MCAT in April or May of 2012, so which timeline of courses would be best for the MCAT? (i.e. what is good to have in my head at the time of taking the MCAT?) So you know, I'm taking Physics I now.

Option #1

Spring Semester (Sophomore) - Orgo I & Physics II
Summer - Study MCAT + research/intern
Fall Semester (Junior) - Orgo II & Physiology
Spring Semester (Junior) - Biochem & MCAT review

What I like about this option: Since I want to do most of my studying for the MCAT during the summer between sophomore and junior years, I think it would be good for me to have some exposure to Orgo (via Orgo I), otherwise I would have to ignore the Orgo portion of the MCAT while studying during that summer.

What I dislike about this option: Orgo is being taken off semester, which means that I cannot really choose my professor or time, which opens the possibility of having a bad professor. Also, my best friend is doing option #2, so I won't be in Orgo with him (we study together well).

Option #2

Spring Semester (Sophomore) - Biochem & Physics II
Summer - Study MCAT + research/intern
Fall Semester (Junior) - Orgo I & Physiology
Spring Semester (Junior) - Orgo II & MCAT review

What I like about this option: This schedule results in a slightly more manageable workload each semester, as Orgo + Physics is avoided. Also, my best friend is doing this option as well, so we can study together, which we usually do. Plus, Orgo is taken on-semester, which gives me options in choosing a professor.

What I dislike about this option: I will not have exposure to Orgo while studying for the MCAT during the summer in between sophomore and junior years, so I cannot really study Orgo that summer and would have to study it during the school year, which is not ideal. Plus, Orgo is just being finished as I go in for the MCAT, which is a bit scary.

Bottom line: How much Orgo is there really on the MCAT? Is it a good idea to just have finished Orgo when taking the MCAT? Thanks for your help everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, studying about 10-12 months (ie the summer before) before you take the MCAT might be thinking too far ahead of schedule. I took my MCAT towards the end of May which gave me one month of uninterrupted studying that followed four months (approx Spring semester) of studying here and there to refresh myself with concepts, familiarize myself with the exam etc.

Just go buy some Kaplan/Examcracker books and practice exams, take whatever schedule you like, and be ready for a tough spring semester of juggling school work, ECs, and MCAT studying.

Edit: about the Orgo stuff: Apparently they're trying to cut back on the amount of Orgo on the MCAT and replace it with genetics. This doesn't mean there will be no Orgo, though, so you still need to study it. I think taking an Orgo class Spring semester is in your best interest because it will be fresh in your mind. You won't be at a disadvantage for taking the MCAT so soon afterward so long as you do what you need to between January and April.

I'd take option 2 solely because it sounds like you'll have more options in terms of times/professors.

I also agree with echo that beginning to study 10 mos. beforehand is definitely a bit much...I'm skeptical that you would even retain very much of that compared to time invested. Buy some review books, plan for how much time you want to devote to each subject, and schedule it in such a way that it's manageable for you but probably within 4 mos. of the exam. For example, I devoted probably about 100 hrs. to studying for the exam and did it all within 3-4 weeks after the semester ended (took the test late May). Divided over a typical 15-week semester that amounts to 7 hrs./wk., and you could take it in time to apply June 1. If I were you I would seriously consider devoting maybe 1-3 months after your jr. spring semester ends to study for the test, take it late summer, do well, and then have a gap year to do whatever you want before your long and grueling medical education begins.